none
I can't embed Youtube videos in EW3 RRS feed

• Question

• hi, I recently upgraded from Frontpage to Expression Web 3, and I now find that the superpreviewer does not show my Youtube embeds. I looked at some other threads and tried their suggestions (download Flashplayer, create a div box and paste the code into that) but nothing has worked. In the IE8 preview window there is just an empty space. In the Firefox window it says 'click to download plugin' but when I click nothing happens. Is there a plugin I need?

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 2:36 PM

Answers

• Use Preview in Browser for checking active content, not SuperPreview. SuperPreview is a static display of page content. Furthermore, you will really want to test your pages containing active content in the actual browsers before publishing, as they vary in their handling of such content (especially that which requires that specific plugins be installed to view).

SuperPreview is for checking and resolving layout issues , not as a general purpose preview. You're always best actually previewing in browser, and most especially so when you have dynamic content (javascript, Flash, multimedia, etc.) to check. If you don't already have them, download and install Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, and Safari.

After installation, open an HTML page in EW, then click the dropdown arrow on the right of the Preview in Browser icon on the EW toolbar (to the right of the SP icon by default). From the dropdown, select Edit Browser List..., then browse to and add all of the browsers you have installed locally. That will make them quickly available to you in the Preview in Browser dropdown from then on.

Not only will you be able to quickly cycle through and check in all major browsers, you'll actually be able to check in ALL major browsers, something that SuperPreview does not offer. Furthermore, you will have the advantage of EW's development server for displaying most active content, and will be able to fully test every aspect of your pages. This is much more powerful and flexible for this purpose than SP.

Use SP for what it's good for—resolving layout issues. Use Preview in Browser for actual testing. Together, they cover all the bases and give you a comprehensive, flexible, powerful test environment.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    • Marked as answer by Djehuti Sunday, December 19, 2010 10:49 PM
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 8:09 PM

All replies

• Please read the "Before Posting" post and note what we need to help with display issues.
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 4:17 PM
  • What happens when you preview in a browser window instead of SuperPreview?
    Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Sorry, I didn't read that!
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:55 PM
  • hi, sorry, I'm new to this and should have included the link to the site.

The embeds work fine on the site. The page is http://www.timetrips.co.uk/my_music.htm

Many thanks for your help.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 6:22 PM
  • Use Preview in Browser for checking active content, not SuperPreview. SuperPreview is a static display of page content. Furthermore, you will really want to test your pages containing active content in the actual browsers before publishing, as they vary in their handling of such content (especially that which requires that specific plugins be installed to view).

SuperPreview is for checking and resolving layout issues , not as a general purpose preview. You're always best actually previewing in browser, and most especially so when you have dynamic content (javascript, Flash, multimedia, etc.) to check. If you don't already have them, download and install Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, and Safari.

After installation, open an HTML page in EW, then click the dropdown arrow on the right of the Preview in Browser icon on the EW toolbar (to the right of the SP icon by default). From the dropdown, select Edit Browser List..., then browse to and add all of the browsers you have installed locally. That will make them quickly available to you in the Preview in Browser dropdown from then on.

Not only will you be able to quickly cycle through and check in all major browsers, you'll actually be able to check in ALL major browsers, something that SuperPreview does not offer. Furthermore, you will have the advantage of EW's development server for displaying most active content, and will be able to fully test every aspect of your pages. This is much more powerful and flexible for this purpose than SP.

Use SP for what it's good for—resolving layout issues. Use Preview in Browser for actual testing. Together, they cover all the bases and give you a comprehensive, flexible, powerful test environment.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    • Marked as answer by Djehuti Sunday, December 19, 2010 10:49 PM
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 8:09 PM
  • thanks Scott, that was really helpful, and so kind of you to write a detailed answer.

Tony

Sunday, December 19, 2010 10:50 PM