Insight in the device Network Connectivity profiles (Connection Manager) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Yesterday we had a problem related to the network connectivity of a device. This got us wondering what the real purpose and usage of the two different connectivity options (Work Network / Internet) is. As they appear on the device (all over the Settings->Connections screens) and in ActiveSync, we couldn’t imagine a purpose for the applications that we are developing.

The questions we couldn’t got answered are:

• What are the Work Network / Internet connectivities exact for?
    • Should they be used in custom applications?
    • If so, how should they be used in custom applications (especially CF applications)?
      For example, as far as I can find out, CF applications are not configured to use the default proxy settings. Is there a purpose for the Connection Manager proxy? As I think of it, acquiring the in the Connection Manager configured proxy and using it in a custom application would bond it hard to the ‘Work Network’ profile. Is this right? 
    • What happens when ActiveSync is ordered to connect the device using one of the two profiles?

The above questions might sound silly, but googlin’ the Internet and searching this forum (which I am fond of) didn’t gave us the answers. There are allot of pages describing problems concerning the Connection Manager, and indeed, there are a few pages that give a bit of insight. But most (if not all) of the resources are extremely limited.

Is there anyone that can shed a strong light on these dark matters?

Thanks in advance,

Thursday, November 8, 2007 12:55 PM