locked
Error while saving work flow changes in work item RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I am using TFS 2013 and modifying the work flow of TFS work item Bug. I added new states and transitions after exporting existing work item Bug from my TFS project. None of the work items were changed in TFS before this is first time work flow is changed to add new states and transitions to Bug.

    At the end when I am saving my changes I am getting below error. 

    Ambiguous moniker '/Bug/~New' encountered. It is used for both '~New' and '~New'.  C:\Customisation\Bug.wit

    I am not sure what is causing this error. Can anyone please provide solution to get rid of the error?


    Regards, Premal Acharya

    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:21 AM

Answers

  • Hi Charles-Li,

    The problem was resolved when I started designing the states from fresh. It seems there was some unknown ambiguity which was causing the problem.

    I spent one day in troubleshooting and later decided to do it from start again. So I restored from backup of Bug.xml and designed the states from beginning and this time I ensured  to save changes after each modification unlike first attempt when i designed everything and saved at last.

    Saving changes after each modification did not give any errors.

    Thanks again for you help.


    Regards, Premal Acharya

    Monday, May 18, 2015 5:12 AM

All replies

  • It seems to be an issue with Process Editor. You might want to reinstall it.

    As a workaround try using witadmin to import the work item back into TFS.

    Thanks,


    Clementino de Mendonça ALM Ranger

    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:30 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Premal,

    It would be better to let us know how did you modify the bug definition file, and how do you save the file. Please let us know the reproduce steps. Or you can use witadmin as Clementino mentioned to import the chagned file to have a try.

    Best regards,

    Thursday, May 14, 2015 3:06 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Charles,

    1) I am using TFS template editor contained in power tools. I performed following steps.

    2) Import work item from TFS project and store it in the folder

    3) Open work item using template editor

    4) Added 5 new states with transition and values in it

    At the end while saving it is giving me error.

    The message says that if i forcefully save the file it will be damaged and can not be re-opened again. If I use witadmin command to import the file it will import the file which was exported at the beginning.


    Regards, Premal Acharya

    Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:13 AM
  • Hi Clementino,

    I have modified the files before and never encountered such issue. But I will still consider exporting fresh file from TFS project and make the changes.


    Regards, Premal Acharya

    Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:14 AM
  • Hi Premal,

    I'd like to know the detailed changes you have made to the work item type file. You can refer to the links below to check if you have definition files is modified correctly.

    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms194981.aspx

    https://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2011/09/23/modifying-work-item-states.aspx

    Best regards,

    Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:18 AM
    Moderator
  • Sure, witadmin should get your work going while this gets troubleshooted.

    Other posts on similar errors show it is seems to be related to a Linq and serialization. I don't have access to the code of Process Editor, but it should need some way to serialize as well, and apparently this is broken in your particular system configuration.

    Since you are not being able to save the work item,  you will need to capture the XML in Process Editor and  manually save it yourself before using witadmin.

    Regards,


    Clementino de Mendonça ALM Ranger

    Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:01 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Charles-Li,

    The problem was resolved when I started designing the states from fresh. It seems there was some unknown ambiguity which was causing the problem.

    I spent one day in troubleshooting and later decided to do it from start again. So I restored from backup of Bug.xml and designed the states from beginning and this time I ensured  to save changes after each modification unlike first attempt when i designed everything and saved at last.

    Saving changes after each modification did not give any errors.

    Thanks again for you help.


    Regards, Premal Acharya

    Monday, May 18, 2015 5:12 AM
  • Hi Clementino,

    The problem was resolved when I started designing the states from fresh. It seems there was some unknown ambiguity which was causing the problem.

    I spent one day in troubleshooting and later decided to do it from start again. So I restored from backup of Bug.xml and designed the states from beginning and this time I ensured  to save changes after each modification unlike first attempt when i designed everything and saved at last.

    Saving changes after each modification did not give any errors.

    Thanks for your help.


    Regards, Premal Acharya

    Monday, May 18, 2015 5:13 AM