Installing Windows Developer Preview stops at 64%

Question

• I'm trying to install Windows developer Preview onto my laptop. I have asked a few places and noone answering me. I want to install it with my Windows 7. I burn WDP onto the disc using "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool". After that I boot from disc and install, but it stops at 64%. Then I reburn the disc and it got to 88% in the Expanding windows files. What happen? How do I fix it?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:37 AM

All replies

• I get this error
    "No Device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers and then click ok."
    This is for my USB

For my DVD, I got black screen after pressing any key to boot it.
    • Merged by Helen Zhou Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:23 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

i dont understand your question/issue actually.

Is it an issue with a program your are developing? What are you trying to accomplish?

If this is a problem about the installation of an external USB DVD-Drive or any other hardware products then you need to contact or visit the website of the manufacturer of your product.

MSDN forums are related to applications development.

Hope that help,
    J.-P.

• Edited by JPSavard Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:15 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:08 AM
  • The issue that post eariler have solved now I have this issue

I'm trying to install Windows developer Preview onto my laptop. I have asked a few places and noone answering me. I want to install it with my Windows 7. I burn WDP onto the disc using "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool". After that I boot from disc and install, but it stops at 64%. Then I reburn the disc and it got to 88% in the Expanding windows files. What happen? How do I fix it?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:38 AM
  • Hi,

Try to prepare your USB device manually, I mean using Diskpart and see what happen, here you have a few steps:

1. Insert drive
    2. Open an elevated Command Prompt
    3. Type “diskpart.exe”
    4. Type “list disk” and find the disk number
    5. Type “sel disk 1” (replace the “1” with the actual number)
    6. Type “clean”
    7. Type “cre par pri”
    8. Type “active”
    9. Type “format fs=ntfs quick”
    10. Type “assign”
    11. Type “exit”

Now, copy the content of your ISO file into USB drive and you will be able to install Windows 8.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:57 AM
  • Hi,

for everything related to the "Developer Preview" for the next version of "Windows" i invite you to the related forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/threads

I also noticed that you already posted there, i am sorry that you have'nt received an answer yet.

Beside this, a solution could be to try to download the ISO again and burn it. It think it could be a file corruption problem since you are stuck at 64% and 88%?

Also, another solution would be to try installing it in a Virtual Machine(In VirtualBox(http://www.virtualbox.org/) for example) and see if it work there.

Regards,
    J.-P.

• Edited by JPSavard Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:09 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:07 AM
  • I don't really understand what you are saying. Do you mean boot the dvd and when I get to install screen, press Shift+f10 to open the prompt and type the thing that you said?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:15 AM
  • I don't really understand what you are saying. Do you mean boot the dvd and when I get to install screen, press Shift+f10 to open the prompt and type the thing that you said?

No, I mean, don't use "Windows DVD/USB Download Tool", instead prepare your USB device using Diskpart by following all the steps above.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:27 AM
  • So put the .ios file into my USb (drag and drop). then boot from USB and do those steps?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:58 AM
  • Do all the steps first, after you type "Exit", copy and paste all your Windows files (From your ISO file) into the USB drive. Then, restart your system from the USB and install it.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:35 AM
  • I install it. Yay, then when I switch back to Windows 7, it send me to System repair...What happen? what I did wrong?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:22 AM
  • I install it. Yay, then when I switch back to Windows 7, it send me to System repair...What happen? what I did wrong?

But, Did Windows Developer Preview install fine?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:31 AM
  • It did fine, but the screen is smaller.......weird.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:35 AM
  • Easy fix mate:

Check size of downloaded iso (notice that is too small)

Re download WDP ( I used Jdownloader)

Burn using imgburn.

Done!

The problem indicates to a bad iso and I guarrentee this will be the reason and the fix

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:59 PM