Help for a rusty old guy RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't coded much since 2003.  At that time, we created asp.net web applications by creating a solution in VS, then creating projects within the solution for the business layer, data layer, and web layer.

The resulting business layer .dll contained the business classes, and called the data layer .dll when it needed to interact with the database classes.

I've taken on a volunteer project for the Salvation Army, and just installed VS2008 Pro for it.  Maybe it just seems more complicated; I'm confused about how to create a layered application like the one above in VS2008.

When I create the business layer and data layer, what kind of projects should I now be creating (if any?)  ASP.NET Server Controls?  Or do I stick Modules in the web project (ugh!).  Or what else?

Thanks in advance for any advice or helpful links.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 2:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For Business Logic and Data Access layers you need to create "Class library" projects.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For Business Logic and Data Access layers you need to create "Class library" projects.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Thanks Vitaliy.  That's what I thought they were called way back when, but they don't show up in the project types available for web projects.

After your advice I've now found Class Library under Windows-type projects... that's what I should use?

Thanks.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Yes. Don't forget to reference these Class Libraries from your main project.

P.S.

You can contact me directly via e-mail in case you will have more questions. I'll try to help with your volunteer project..

Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:11 PM