none
CDA Pharmacy prescription document

Question

• Good morning,

I'm trying to create a client application capable of receiving CDA documents of various types and to visualize them. I'm having trouble in uploading Pharmacy prescription documents in CDA format using the HealthVault website: your parser doesn't recognize all the specific tags of a pharmacy prescription since it is intended for general CDA/CCD documents. In fact, there is a specific XSD scheme for prescriptions (you can find it here: ftp://ftp.ihe.net/TF_Implementation_Material/PHARM/schemas/cda/extendedschemas/CDA_extended_pharmacy.xsd), and the validation of my example documents against it is succesful.

The best solution to solve my problem would be to create a new specific data type beside the common CCD, but if I'm not wrong this is not something I can do by myself. Could you please tell me if you can easily extend HealthVault data types by adding a new Prescription type using the schema I indicated you? I think that many other developers could benefit of such modification.

Thank you very much, best regards,

Antonio

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:51 AM

All replies

• Can you send a sample file to hvtech@microsoft.com?  We can take a look at it.

Are you seeing an error uploading CCD file to HealthVault? What is the error message? HealthVault is using HL7 schema definition (http://www.hl7.org/implement/standards/product_brief.cfm?product_id=7) If the extension is not defined there, it may not work.

Or is your case about creating HealthVault data type from CCD file? Such that creating "Medications" data type from CCD?

Takashi Moriyama | Senior Program Manager | Microsoft Health

Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:34 PM
  • Dear Takashi,

Thank you very much for your answer. I will send you a sample prescription file, the error that I get when I try to upload the file is the following:

We couldn't complete your last action because:

• There is a problem with the way the file is constructed. Please ask the provider to correct it and give you a new copy.
    • The following information may be useful to your provider in identifying the problem:
    • Invalid xml for thing of type '1ed1cba6-9530-44a3-b7b5-e8219690ebcf' (Clinical Document Architecture (CDA)). The element 'manufacturedMaterial' in namespace 'urn:hl7-org:v3' has invalid child element 'formCode' in namespace 'urn:ihe:pharm:medication'. List of possible elements expected: 'lotNumberText' in namespace 'urn:hl7-org:v3'. -- The element 'manufacturedMaterial' in namespace 'urn:hl7-org:v3' has invalid child element 'formCode' in namespace 'urn:ihe:pharm:medication'. List of possible elements expected: 'lotNumberText' in namespace 'urn:hl7-org:v3'.

Basically your schema for CCD/CDA files is not capable to parse a particular CDA document used for pharmacy prescriptions. It would be sufficient to include the schema that I indicated you on my previous message, or to create a new data type in HealthVault with that schema, and it would work. That schema is not specifically mine, it comes from IHE as extension of the original CDA document format (there are 19 different types of CDA documents!).

Cheers,

Antonio

Friday, April 21, 2017 1:58 PM