can ASP.NET page exist without .aspx file? RRS feed

• Question

• User107836947 posted
    I implement all Page construction in PageBase class inherited from Page class. aspx files seem to be "rudimentary" because they just have <@ Page> directive and that's all. Maybe HttpHandlers or HttpModules can solve this problem?
    Wednesday, June 9, 2004 8:32 AM

All replies

• User-1645088262 posted
    Yes, you can create a HttpHandler class directly, either mapping it in the web.config file or via a HandlerFactory (also in the web.config). Your app then consists of a dll in the bin folder ... if you wanted, you could even have all images and client scripts embedded as resources too!
    Wednesday, June 9, 2004 2:27 PM
  • User107836947 posted
    intesoft, thnx for reply. I know, that I can create my own HttpHandler, but then I wouldn't have an ASP.NET page. I mean that I wouldn't be able to inherit my pages from Page class that means have .NET. I'll have to implement my own framework (reimplement .NET). As I understand HttpHandlers are very helpfull when you need some special request proceeding functionality: for .jpg files, for firendly url's, for etc. Maybe there is (I hope there is) some way to have both all ASP.NET features (except aspx) and custom HttpHandler?
    Wednesday, June 9, 2004 5:07 PM
  • User-1449169821 posted
    Yup, take a look at using the PageHandlerFactory, Scott W. gives a good idea of how to use it (though for a slightly different reason) here http://scottwater.com/blog/articles/UrlRewrite1.aspx
    Thursday, June 17, 2004 5:39 AM