Crystal Reports very slow when database has changed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Crystal Reports document object in an ASP.Net application is VS 2008.  Everything works fine and does exactly what I want, except for one thing. 

Obviously I create Crystal Reports locally and test them, then when I copy them to my server it cannot find the database connection that was used when the report was originally created.  That's OK as well because I can change the data connection in code, and am doing so.

My problem is that before I can change the database connection(s) my report takes ages before it returns control because, presumably, it is initially attempting to connect using the parameters it was originally saved with.  What I need to know is can I change a timeout in Crystal or elsewhere that will return control more quickly so I can then set the correct connection values?

The report is using an ADO.Net connection to SQL Server.

David Penny
    David Penny
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:11 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the Reply.  I don't actually use connection strings because the application is used by a large number of external clients, and they may want access to an unknown number of databases through a single application  (I offer a drop down of which database during login).  Because of this I manually set the connection parameters on the report just prior to showing it.

However, after doing some testing over the weekend, it does not actually seem to be such a big issue as it was - this might just be because I have updated from Crystal 8.5 to Crystal 2008 and the connection now seems to perform OK.

Thanks.

David Penny
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:42 AM

All replies

• If you have cleared "direct connections" and using a dataset presumably to connect and generate a report , it should work fine
    because you are storing the connection string in the config file and one change in the config file should do it, i.e. the report would get the connection from the config file.

Isnt it that based on your environment you set the connection string,

In the code behind there should be  connections string so that based on the environment it should get hte appropriate database connections string, 

Timeout can be set when you are giving the connection specifications in the connection string which is the number of  secs to wait for the connection is set.

hope i answered the questions 
    I am what i am
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 11:19 PM
  • Thanks for the Reply.  I don't actually use connection strings because the application is used by a large number of external clients, and they may want access to an unknown number of databases through a single application  (I offer a drop down of which database during login).  Because of this I manually set the connection parameters on the report just prior to showing it.

However, after doing some testing over the weekend, it does not actually seem to be such a big issue as it was - this might just be because I have updated from Crystal 8.5 to Crystal 2008 and the connection now seems to perform OK.

Thanks.

David Penny
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:42 AM