Opening files in existing visual studio 2019 instance? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Visual Studio 2019 and when I was running Windows 7 if I opened a file from explorer or whatever, it opened in the already open instance of Visual Studio 2019. But since upgrading to Windows 10, it doesn't do that. Is there a way to make it do that? (e.g. a VS setting or a Windows setting or something) or is it not possible to do that anymore?

Sunday, February 9, 2020 11:11 AM

All replies

• Hi jonwil,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>> But since upgrading to Windows 10, it doesn't do that. 

## I suppose you open files with a new instance of Visual Studio 2019 after upgrading to Windows 10. If I misunderstand, please feel free to let me know.

In addition, as I know, if no file is specified and there is no existing instance of Visual Studio, a new instance of Visual Studio is created. Please have a try with the following steps:

#1. Please close your instances of Visual Studio;

#2. Right-click the file in File Explorer and open the “Properties” page;

#3. Please check if the “Opens with” is set to “Microsoft Visual Studio 2019” under “General” tab, if not, please click the “Change…” to modify it.

After the above performance, you could open files with the specific Visual Studio.

Hope it helps and any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Anna 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 6:55 AM
  • Hi jonwil,

Sorry to disturb you.

What about this issue now?

Could you tell me your project type?

If my reply doesn't work, please refer to the following link to change default programs in Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4028161/windows-10-change-default-programs

If this issue is resolved, you could share your solution here and that will help others who have similar issue.

Looking forward to your good news.

Sincerely,

Anna

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, February 21, 2020 4:57 AM