none
How can I create a bridge connection with CLI on the Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to create a bridge connection between two tap devices on the Windows 10.

I tried some traditional ways such as bridge util, but it did not work with Windows 10.(As I know, some *.inf files used by bridge util do not exist anymore on Windows 10)

I also tried devcon to do that, and bridge device was created, but there are no ways to attach some tap devices to this bridge.(Even it does not appear on the GUI of network adapter list. Only PowerShell command can show this.)

I think some PowerShell commands can be my answer, because I found out some PowerShell commands such as New-NetSwitchTeam.(But it is for switch, not bridge.)

Is there any alternative solution for it?

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:09 AM

Answers

• There is no supported way to programmatically create a bridge.  Bridges can only be created through the GUI.  This feature is on our backlog -- we would like to have an API and a command line tool -- but there are other features of higher priority.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:49 PM

All replies

• Have you tried: Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, then under the Advanced drop-down menu is Bridge Connections

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

• Marked as answer by UGO625 Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:52 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by UGO625 Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:52 AM
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:50 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. Creation with GUI works nicely, but I'm trying this to create the bridge connection with CLI :)
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:56 AM
  • The network shell (netsh) can do it. I'm sure there is a Powershell way, but I don't know it

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 3:01 AM
  • Well, I tried it with netsh before, but it couldn't install bridge and shows "Not Supported" message. I think most of Windows 10 variations(Home, Professional, Enterprise, ...) can not support bridge install/uninstall command of netsh.(I think only Server OS can support this.)

And... I also couldn't find the way to attach some tap devices to already-exists bridge with netsh... So I cannot solve my problem even if I suceeded in install of bridge with netsh :(

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 3:18 AM
  • I have asked one of the devs to jump in and answer your question

-Brian

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 3:20 AM
  • There is no supported way to programmatically create a bridge.  Bridges can only be created through the GUI.  This feature is on our backlog -- we would like to have an API and a command line tool -- but there are other features of higher priority.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:49 PM
  • That is very surprising given how many Powershell cmdlets are provided for network configuration. I thought it was an internal requirement that all areas of Windows were supposed to be configurable with Powershell

-Brian

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:31 PM
  • Yes... I'm not completely sure how Bridge escaped the powershellization that happened in Windows 8.  The kernel driver was rewritten in that time, so it was under active development then.  I guess it just came down to resources and budget: we were already super overbooked to ship the powershell cmdlets that we did then.  

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:43 PM
  • Thanks all. I was also quite surprised, but now I can understand it is not so easy work :) If so, are there some DEEPER ways such as registry editing to do this? Or is it completely impossible?
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 12:51 AM
  • As Jeff wrote, there are no other supported ways, besides the GUI. Even if we knew of an unsupported way to do this, we cannot provide unsupported methods in this forum.

I suggest that you create a Feedback Hub problem report, because this is supposed to work. Getting friends to vote it up will catch the attention of the program managers who prioritize the requests.

-Brian

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 1:31 AM
  • OK, I will. Thank you very much!
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 1:39 AM