Is it illegal to sell a laptop with Windows 8 Dev. preview installed ?

Question

• Selling my laptop and just wondering if I am breaking any copy right laws by selling it with Windows 8 preview installed? Figured I'd better find out before I sell it. 
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:50 AM

Answers

• You are allowed to use as many copies of the WDP as you wish but you are not allowed to distribute it, so you are violating the license by what you propose.  What happened to the copy of Windows that originally shipped with the computer?  You are entitled to sell the computer with the original Windows as one item.  You are not entitled to use an OEM copy of Windows on any other computer so you might as well sell the computer with its original OS.  (Since this is a laptop I assume that it did ship with a copy of the OS installed.)

In any case you have to remove the WDP.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Just put the original OS back on it...
    Technical Beta Tester || Matthew John Earley BSc (hons) || www.o0MattE0o.myby.co.uk
    Friday, September 23, 2011 8:43 AM

All replies

• Just put the original OS back on it...
    Technical Beta Tester || Matthew John Earley BSc (hons) || www.o0MattE0o.myby.co.uk
    Friday, September 23, 2011 8:43 AM
  • According to the EULA you can't transfer it to someone else. You can find the EULA at C:\Windows\System32\license.rtf.

9.    SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the features included in the software edition you licensed. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways. You may not

·    transfer the software or this agreement to any third party; or

Friday, September 23, 2011 4:19 PM
  • You are allowed to use as many copies of the WDP as you wish but you are not allowed to distribute it, so you are violating the license by what you propose.  What happened to the copy of Windows that originally shipped with the computer?  You are entitled to sell the computer with the original Windows as one item.  You are not entitled to use an OEM copy of Windows on any other computer so you might as well sell the computer with its original OS.  (Since this is a laptop I assume that it did ship with a copy of the OS installed.)

In any case you have to remove the WDP.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:49 PM