Analyzing Music in real time

Question

• Hi There

I want to build an app that analyses and responds to music in real time. For examples of what I am after think, BeatStream by Smule 

There is another iOS app called Beat hazard, both these apps allow you to select a track from your Itunes library and use that music to 'play' the game and essentially generate levels. AudioSurf is also a good example although I would like to do the analysis in real time.

I have had a look through the forums and can't find any similar topics I also can't find any similar apps or even basic music visualisers so I'm wondering if this can be done at all on Windows phones

P.S. I'm not massively technical and will be employing a coder to build it with me so please keep the responses understandable for the laymen :)  

Monday, July 01, 2013 10:51 AM

Answers

• This is definitely possible, but it is an inherently technical subject.

You can use WASAPI (provided for C++, not C#) to get the raw audio stream to analyze. There are several existing threads on this if you search for WASAPI.

--Rob 

Monday, July 01, 2013 3:59 PM
    Owner

All replies

• This is definitely possible, but it is an inherently technical subject.

You can use WASAPI (provided for C++, not C#) to get the raw audio stream to analyze. There are several existing threads on this if you search for WASAPI.

--Rob 

Monday, July 01, 2013 3:59 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob, that's good to know! We're using C++ and I'll check out the threads you suggest. 
    Monday, July 01, 2013 4:35 PM
  • I recommend looking into directX for this as well.
    Monday, July 01, 2013 8:30 PM