none
Should WCF services return metadata? RRS feed

• General discussion

• In wcf I send a request to the service and use the decorator pattern to pass the request through a number of cross cutting concerns. Many of these concerns can fail and negate the request. It is a per call service. My question is whether it is good design practice to have wcf send back meta data. I ended up making all my classes send back a generic "StandardResponse<T>" class that looks something like this:

StandardResponse<T>

{

public ResponseType Response { get; set; }

public string Message { get; set; }

public T ResponseData { get; set; }

public T UserSubmittedData { get; set; }

public T StoreRetrievedData {get; set; }

}

where ResponseType is an enum that informs the client what kind of response ended up getting returned. For instance, ResponseType { NotAuthorized, NotValidData, SyncRequired, ... etc.}

I keep getting the sense this is really terrible design but I can't put my finger on what is wrong with it. I need a total rebuke or a total confidence boost on this. Lend me your hand, please. Thanks in advance.

• Edited by crushbrain Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:21 AM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the very first line that you wrote : "In wcf I send a request to the service" , you can not make a request to service without having any proxy, and you can not have a proxy object without having metadata exposed by WCF.

So, it is mandatory to publish/expose metadata to outside world.

One good question is equivalent to ten best answers.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:41 AM