Using the WPF designer in an Isolated Shell application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm planning to build an IDE-like application which will also include a visual designer for forms and controls. I thought the application could be based on the VS Isolated Shell, but a have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to use the WPF designer in the isolated shell?
    I created a basic shell application as described in https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb685514%28v=vs.140%29.aspx, but when I open a .xaml file with this application, it only displays the XAML in a text editor page. In its context menu there is the command "View Designer", but this only brings up another tab with the XAML in a text editor.

2. If the WPF designer can be used, is it also possible to
    - limit the control types that are provided in the toolbox to a set of specific custom controls?
    - use a (much simpler) custom property window instead of the built-in property window?
    - replace the XAML serializer with a custom serializer?

Thanks

Max

Monday, May 30, 2016 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Max Eineder,

>>"Is it possible to use the WPF designer in the isolated shell?"

Yes, it is. Firstly, we need to load the WPF project. Then we could open the XAML file from WPF project use the WPF designer.

>>"is it also possible to
    - limit the control types that are provided in the toolbox to a set of specific custom controls?
    - use a (much simpler) custom property window instead of the built-in property window?"

If you want to implement this, I think you need to create a custom toolbox and a custom property window. They are all belong to Tool Window. For how to extend and customize Tool Windows, link below is for your reference.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb165390.aspx

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:35 AM
  • Hi Li,

thank you. I tried to load the solution that contains the WPF project. First I changed the solution file extension in the .pkgdef file to "sln", so the open file dialog allows loading standard solutions:

But when I try to open the solution that contains the WPF project, an error report is shown that says that the project type is not supported:

How do I have to configure my isolated shell project so that a WPF project can be loaded?

Thank you

Max

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 7:09 AM