none
How to get in the "new and rising" section?

Question

• So, I published a new app on Jan 19th and tried to make the start as optimal as it could be:

• I made a beta version (which was running for about a week before official launch) and had some beta testers to make sure the first version doesnt have any major bugs
    • I advertised the app on Reddit
    • I wrote an article about the app on the news site MSPoweruser
    • I was featured with the app on major Windows related sites: WindowsTeca (Italian), Dr. Windows & WindowsUnited (German)

So after 3 weeks, these are the numbers:

•  ~3800 downloads (Germany: 1500, US: 800, Italy: 450)
    • 130 ratings/reviews with an average of 4.8 (Germany: 50, US: 31, Italy: 17)

My questions:

• Why is the app not visible in the "New and rising" section of the Windows Store? (I checked many different regions, even with the category filter the app is hardly in the top 10)
    • Why are there so many apps ranked higher that have obviously less downloads and worse ratings? (one example (German store))
    • Can you give any details on how the new and rising list calculated?
    • Do I have to be more patient and can I expect my app to appear in the list in the near future?
    • Do I need to mention that this is highly annoying for existing and new developers? (if there are still any new developers at all)

I know this topic isn't new and already led to frustration for many app developers. Just 2 examples worth looking at:

• http://www.mrlacey.com/2016/07/rising-in-store-charts.html
    • https://blog.ailon.org/the-rise-and-not-enough-rise-of-one-of-the-most-beloved-windows-10-apps-316a9e0a6cfd#.5ojmttl0k

For anyone who wants to check the numbers I just listed, my app is called WorkingHours

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 12:30 PM

All replies

• Hi T.Partl,

There are several factor that are taken into consideration to determine whether an app will appear in the New and Rising section. Since there are many new apps released at any given time, only part of the apps can be listed in this section.

More info about list algorithms, you can refer to change to the search results.

If you still feel confused about this, please contact Dev Center Support through your developer account for professional explanation.

Best Regards,

Cherry Bu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 7:43 AM
  • Very sad that more specific details cannot be made public. I also contacted the Dev Center Support you mentioned with the same result. Only thing I get are links to guidelines and recommendations how to make my app appealing and boost the chances to rise in the store - I already did all that! Your linked thread about the "new" algorithm is from 2012, by the way.

Did you look at my linked example (German store)? Can you understand my frustration if such an app is ranked higher than my app? It doesn't comply with most of your guidelines and recommendations, it doesn't even have a German or English localization! It provides one single screenshot that doesn't tell anything about the app. I just cannot explain myself at all how this app can get into the list and mine can't.

Are you surprised that developers are leaving the platform and Windows phone is slowly dying? Well, I am not. I worked my ass off for that app and am trying to make a living out of this, experiences like this are forcing me to get an employed job. Please, either fix that algorithm or provide valueable details to developers on why their apps don't appear in the store list and how they can improve on it.

• Edited by T. Partl Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:07 AM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:00 AM
  • The entire section in Windows Phone store in Apps also seems to have been virtually removed - Only one app now shows and that's for a conference in 2016 ? I am sure the press will pick up on that soon.
    • Edited by DaveHu Wednesday, February 8, 2017 11:44 AM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 11:14 AM
  • At least you got nominated for the Dev Award award in the end mate, as did I.

I do wonder why we bother sometimes though.

Monday, May 8, 2017 5:13 PM