Live Inspect button disabled in VS2017? RRS feed

• Question

• User323642 posted

Hey guys, just wondering why the "Live Inspect" button would be disabled in VS 2017?

Monday, May 15, 2017 5:39 AM

Answers

• User73391 posted

If you are using the latest stable Xamarin (4.5.0.443, check Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio to confirm), Android and iOS inspection is known to be broken. See https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56232.

A fix is targeted to go out soon with the 15.2.2 update of VS 2017.

Typically, if you see the button being disabled, you can check the log file for any interesting output. My guess is that you will see the same error as in the above bug report.

For more "normal" error conditions, the button remains enabled, and clicking on it will give you a dialog letting you know what you have to do to get Inspector to work with your project.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 1:35 PM

All replies

• User904 posted

What version of Visual Studio are you using? Live app inspection is available for enterprise customers only

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 6:46 AM
  • User323642 posted

Hi, I'm using VS 2017 Enterprise. The button is there, it's simply disabled. The button doesn't even appear in VS Professional I think? (or if it does I've never noticed it)

Just want to know what could possibly cause it so I can do some troubleshooting.

EDIT: For some reason this comment is marked as the accepted answer, which it obviously isn't. Did I click something? If so, please fix this mods :).

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 6:49 AM
  • User73391 posted

If you are using the latest stable Xamarin (4.5.0.443, check Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio to confirm), Android and iOS inspection is known to be broken. See https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56232.

A fix is targeted to go out soon with the 15.2.2 update of VS 2017.

Typically, if you see the button being disabled, you can check the log file for any interesting output. My guess is that you will see the same error as in the above bug report.

For more "normal" error conditions, the button remains enabled, and clicking on it will give you a dialog letting you know what you have to do to get Inspector to work with your project.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 1:35 PM
  • User323642 posted

Thanks Sandy, I'll eagerly await the next update :).

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 12:07 AM