[UWP][XBOX] Dev Home app shows splash screen and closes. No error. RRS feed

• Question

• I've been doing pretty well with Dev Mode the last few days.  I've tested several flavors of UWP apps.  I've gone back and forth between Dev Mode and the regular console several times.

Today, after a development session, the Dev Home app fails to launch.  It does not throw any error or any information.  It simply closes back to the Xbox Home.  The splash screen does show.

This does mean, of course, that I can't return my Xbox One back to "normal" any longer.

I've tried rebooting the console.  I held my finger on the console power button and turned it off that way as well.  Going to try unplugging the console next.

Is there any way to get this app to open again?  I assume there's some bad state cached that I can't get rid of or don't know of any means to get rid of.

Sunday, April 10, 2016 2:53 PM

Answers

• Okay, I solved my problem.  The key was that this began after a failed deployment.  I'm sorry for not realizing this.  After the failed deployment, I spent a few hours debugging a different app, so I didn't make the connection in my head when filing this question.

I think that what happened was after a failed deployment some bad state must be unhandled in Dev Home.  What I mean is that the failed "half-deployed" app must not look like what Dev Home is expecting.  When it launches, it must have to enumerate your deployed apps.  Well, maybe the failed deployment (or at least, MY failed deployment, YMMV) caused Dev Home to throw an exception and crash out to Dashboard.

My solution?  I went into My Games and Apps and uninstalled all of my deployed apps.  The app for the failed deployment was there, too.  After uninstalling them all, Dev Home opens just fine.  The world is safe again.

Hope this helps someone else.

Chris

Sunday, April 10, 2016 3:10 PM

All replies

• I unplugged the console, and after waiting a short time, plugged it back in.

The console booted.  After churning on the console's green Xbox One splash screen for awhile, it rebooted itself.  It then came back up and churned on the console's green Xbox One splash screen for awhile.  Then a dashboard came up... it's the Dev Mode dashboard.

My apps are loaded in still.  They are even playable if I launch them with a controller.  Dev Home will not launch, however.  Same problem.

Sunday, April 10, 2016 3:07 PM
  • Okay, I solved my problem.  The key was that this began after a failed deployment.  I'm sorry for not realizing this.  After the failed deployment, I spent a few hours debugging a different app, so I didn't make the connection in my head when filing this question.

I think that what happened was after a failed deployment some bad state must be unhandled in Dev Home.  What I mean is that the failed "half-deployed" app must not look like what Dev Home is expecting.  When it launches, it must have to enumerate your deployed apps.  Well, maybe the failed deployment (or at least, MY failed deployment, YMMV) caused Dev Home to throw an exception and crash out to Dashboard.

My solution?  I went into My Games and Apps and uninstalled all of my deployed apps.  The app for the failed deployment was there, too.  After uninstalling them all, Dev Home opens just fine.  The world is safe again.

Hope this helps someone else.

Chris

Sunday, April 10, 2016 3:10 PM
  • I had the same problem, whereby the Dev Home app was exiting as it was being opened.  I had also had deployment failures (with some apps), beforehand.  Deleting my custom apps fixed the problem, insofar that I am now able to launch (fully) the Dev Home app.

-- David L.

Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:34 PM
  • Thanks for reporting this and I'm glad to see you were able to resolve by deleting your apps. I'll get a bug in on this over to the dev team to look into this further.
    Monday, April 11, 2016 4:46 PM