none
Inserting custom fields in OSX Word 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I can see and create custom fields by going to File->Properties and clicking the Custom tab.  One of which is called "Application Name" and another called "Client".  I have a template that has the "Client" already inserted somewhere.  I can right-click that, and click 'Toggle Field Codes' to view the code:

{ DOCPROPERTY Client \* MERGEFORMAT }

I am trying to insert a new custom property of "Application Name" next to that. I can press Command+F9 to get the '{ }' inserted, but when I type anything in that, conforming to the code I have already seen, it ends up being blank/nothing. I have tried the following:

{ DOCPROPERTY Client \* MERGEFORMAT }

{ DOCPROPERTY Client }

{ DOCPROPERTY Application Name \* MERGEFORMAT }

{ DOCPROPERTY "Application Name" \* MERGEFORMAT }

{ DOCPROPERTY Application Name }

{ DOCPROPERTY "Application Name" }

Can someone please explain how to insert custom fields into a OSX Word 2011 document?  Thanks.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Wuntee,

Probably the best place for help with Word 2011 for the Mac is at this forum:

http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums/Word/

However to answer your question.

Typing the field parameter in after the Cmd + F9 click is fine, you just needed to Update Fields afterwards. There's a keystroke sequence for this but I find it easier to just Right click (Control + Click) and bring up the context menu.

The other method is to Insert>Field command from the Menu Bar. Selected Document Information from the categories, and DocProperty from the field name list. Selected Options and Add to Field the property you want and Ok out.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Forgot to add that of the strings you attempted this one is correct.

Regards
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Wuntee,

Probably the best place for help with Word 2011 for the Mac is at this forum:

http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums/Word/

However to answer your question.

Typing the field parameter in after the Cmd + F9 click is fine, you just needed to Update Fields afterwards. There's a keystroke sequence for this but I find it easier to just Right click (Control + Click) and bring up the context menu.

The other method is to Insert>Field command from the Menu Bar. Selected Document Information from the categories, and DocProperty from the field name list. Selected Options and Add to Field the property you want and Ok out.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Forgot to add that of the strings you attempted this one is correct.

Regards
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:08 PM