locked
Japanese ink handwriting issues

    Question

  • Overall I'm impressed with the Japanese handwriting recognition using the ink manager, though I've found a few characters it can't detect easily or at all. for example the character い I've never got to recognize. It always comes up with () or [). Maybe if I could tell it to not match with punctuation? Also the character き since in handwriting the lower hook is not connected and it doesn't like that its seems. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything that can be done as a workaround?
    • Edited by slycoder127 Wednesday, March 04, 2015 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, March 04, 2015 2:04 PM

All replies

  • If you write out a detailed post about the issues you're seeing, I'll be happy to forward it to someone who understands this to see if we have any answers for you.

    Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

    NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

    Wednesday, March 04, 2015 7:18 PM
    Moderator
  • Sorry for the late reply. That would be great thank you! Well as I've been experimenting with the ink recognizer I've found certain Japanese characters are very difficult to recognize(ones with two parts such as き, い, or な). Japanese printed text and handwriting can look very different and it seems like the recognizer could use some more options. For example the look of Japanese fonts can make characters look very different. I'm guessing the engine compares your ink strokes to a font? If that's the case, it would be nice to be able specify which font its using. It seems the

    GetTextCandidates()

    method returns five results going from most likely to less likely(index 0 to 4). Associating the result with a confidence level would be helpful(or even 10 results too). Here are some examples using my app with my surface 3's pen. Results are separated by a !

    results: 1)!l)!6)!し)!/)

    results: 6)!レ)!し)!61!l)

     As you can see with the character い most of my results are punctuation. I'm not sure if having an option of excluding punctuation is an answer but this is one of the hardest ones to recognize. Thanks for your help I look forward to your reply.
    Saturday, March 07, 2015 4:48 PM