none
msi failure for all .NET applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all - I have a peculiar problem which I am guessing might to due to a bad installation of .NET.

I have inherited a new development machine, running XP Pro SP2 which I have spent a while setting up - now when it comes down to installing our own .NET 2 developed software on the machine, the installer fails saying:

Error reading from blahblahblah.msi. Verify that the file exists and you can access it.

This appears after the initial installer screens prompting for install location etc, and the msi files work fine on any other machine on the network. I even tried creating a new dummy forms project with deployment project, and that fails with the sme problem.

Do you think this is a .NET setup problem, or something else - I'm really confused.

Regards
    Mark
    Friday, November 23, 2007 10:33 AM

Answers

• Finally figured out what this was after reinstalling .net, studio etc etc

Microsoft installer does not support installing from a substituted drive - i.e. one created by using the "subst" command.
    It works fine at the beginning when the GUI part of the installation is gathering information, but then the guts of the install is handed over to a windows service - this is where things go wrong as the service doesnt have visibility of the substituted drive.

Case closed - thanks

regards
    Mark.
    Monday, November 26, 2007 9:21 AM

All replies

•  

This appears to be a problem with the .Net Framework setup on the machine. To confirm can you just create a Windows Forms application and run it. ( Any simple application).

Also try the installation of your project using Windows Local Administrator login account.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:42 PM
  • Finally figured out what this was after reinstalling .net, studio etc etc

Microsoft installer does not support installing from a substituted drive - i.e. one created by using the "subst" command.
    It works fine at the beginning when the GUI part of the installation is gathering information, but then the guts of the install is handed over to a windows service - this is where things go wrong as the service doesnt have visibility of the substituted drive.

Case closed - thanks

regards
    Mark.
    Monday, November 26, 2007 9:21 AM