Metro For Games?

Question

• I see a lot of guides for how to design Metro apps, but how does it apply to games on Windows 8?

For example I see some Metro games use the app bar (see HiveMind) and others traditional menu screens (see HydroThunder).

Another example is some use "Settings" on the charm bar (HiveMind again) or a traditional options/settings screen (HydroThunder).

Is it better to follow what people expect out of games on mobile devices and consoles?  Or should we follow Metro design principles at all costs?

Is HydroThunder an example of a good Metro app or a bad one?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:19 AM

Answers

• If you have a graphical game-like menu then you can use that.

I would use an traditional Windows-like menu then you should use an App Bar.

Games don't have to follow the specific details of the Metro style design principles where they don't make sense for the game.

HydroThunder's use is quite appropriate.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Tom Spilman Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:10 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:41 PM
    Owner

All replies

• If you have a graphical game-like menu then you can use that.

I would use an traditional Windows-like menu then you should use an App Bar.

Games don't have to follow the specific details of the Metro style design principles where they don't make sense for the game.

HydroThunder's use is quite appropriate.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Tom Spilman Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:10 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:41 PM
    Owner
  • I guess that makes sense...  I didn't really think of a "window menu" as an analog to the app bar, but it does clear up its usage for me.

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:10 PM