Workaround for lack of incoming email facility for Task lists? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom task list in WSS 3.0. I'd like to be able to enable it for incoming emails (i.e. to automatically create a new Task item when an email is sent to a specified email address for that list. Ideally the comment field would be set to the email body, and the Title set to the email subject). 
    Because WSS 3.0 does not support incoming email functionality for Task lists, I was wondering whether it would be possible to work around this limitation by doing the following:
    - Create a custom Document list, with incoming email enabled so that a new item is created whenever an email is sent to a specific email address
    - Create a workflow on this list, which will generate a new item in my Tasks list whenever a new item is created in the Document list.
    Is this a valid workaround to this issue?
    Monday, March 28, 2011 1:55 PM

All replies

• Yes.  Your solution will work just fine.

We do the exact same thing for multiple repositories in our site.  They are set up to receive e-mail on a daily basis, and a "Collect Feedback" workflow generates a task for a particular user, every time a new e-mail message arrives in the repository. 

Monday, August 15, 2011 2:34 PM