interactieve button RRS feed

• Question

• under the menu, insert i try to choose INTERACTIVE BUTTON, but it is not highlighted (if you know what i mean) , you cannot choose it, it is not possible to click on it.  why is this.  i use expr web 4

Geert
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:08 PM

Answers

• To use interactive buttons, EW must be able to write the associated javascript into the <head> section.  You have no editable region in the <head> section in your index page.  Put one in, and you'll be able to use the interactive button menu.
    • Proposed as answer by KathyW2 Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by jevogeert Friday, February 4, 2011 7:37 PM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:37 PM
  • thanks a lot !!

Geert
    • Marked as answer by jevogeert Friday, February 4, 2011 7:01 AM
    Friday, February 4, 2011 7:01 AM

All replies

• You have  a web site open and are working on a html page within the site, correct?

Expression Web MVP
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:12 PM
  • Yes.

it is the site www.jevomaldegem.be, and i want to put a button to make a link to a pdf file

Geert
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:19 PM
  • The only way I can duplicate that is if the focus is currently on a panel for which the selection is meaningless (e.g. Folder List). Please describe more clearly exactly what you are doing (the steps you are taking, where the cursor is located when you attempt the insertion, etc.).

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:30 PM
  • On the index page, i cannot highlight the interactive button in the control pannel.

but if i want to try it in ex http://www.jevomaldegem.be/Pag.verslag.kadetten.regionaal.html , i can add it into the text.

maybe it is because each html page is linked to a .dwt file (strange)

Geert
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:36 PM
  • and yes, i have tried to use it by selecting text, to change it into a button, or I did put the cursor, where now i have added the text to make the link
    Geert
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:37 PM

• Hmm... don't know. It may have something to do with those Vista Buttons, or not. Or with having two <body> tags on the page(?), or something else entirely.

I used IE's "Edit with Microsoft Expression Web" to bring it down, and sure enough, the interactive buttons selection is unavailable. I took a look at the source, or started to, anyway, but could not spot the reason in the short cursory examination I was prepared to spend on it. No offense intended, Geert, but that markup's a mess, and layout tables are a bad way to go.

Why are you trying to use both Vista Buttons and EW's interactive buttons? And are you aware that with scripting disabled you have no navigation whatsoever? None. The navbar doesn't even appear, leaving the visitor stuck on that page. Anyway, good luck finding the problem. Maybe someone else will feel that they have the time to dig through your source code and find the cause. Good luck!

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:17 PM
  • for me it is only to learn more of EW4.

with : but that markup's a mess, and layout tables are a bad way to go

that it is not so good to put tables into tables,

And if i have it correct, you are not possitive against Vista buttons, but what is the alternative

(sorry for my broken english)

Geert
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:46 PM
  • By any chance are you trying to insert a button in a non editable region?
    Expression Web MVP
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:08 PM
  • the top banner, and the menu are .dwt - non editable

the rest is editable region

Geert
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:10 PM
  • To use interactive buttons, EW must be able to write the associated javascript into the <head> section.  You have no editable region in the <head> section in your index page.  Put one in, and you'll be able to use the interactive button menu.
    • Proposed as answer by KathyW2 Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by jevogeert Friday, February 4, 2011 7:37 PM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:37 PM
  • Good catch Kathy.
    I totally missed that when I looked at the source.
    Expression Web MVP
    Friday, February 4, 2011 12:09 AM
  • thanks a lot !!

Geert
    • Marked as answer by jevogeert Friday, February 4, 2011 7:01 AM
    Friday, February 4, 2011 7:01 AM
  • jevogeert,

You are supposed to mark the answer as the answer, not your reply.  That helps other people find it when they search the forum.

Friday, February 4, 2011 7:20 PM