THE SDDL STRING CONTAINS AN INVALID SID OR A SID RRS feed

• Question

• was setting up a HyperV instance for development. Grabbed a Windows Server 2012 R2 (workgroup), threw SQL on it and installed SharePoint Server 2013. 
    The Farm was up and running, Started system services and service applications.
    Then I got: The SDDL string contains an invalid sid or a sid that cannot be translated.

I have found many articles similar to this
    http://www.bondbyte.com/blog/sharepoint-configuration-wizard-error-the-sddl-string-contains-an-invalid-sid-or-a-sid-that-cannot-be-translated/
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/eebaa6c3-14f1-465b-80bf-59a4008c4ade/the-sddl-string-contains-an-invalid-sid-or-a-sid-that-cannot-be-translated-when-installing-search?forum=sharepointadmin

But no luck.

What can I do? I need this to work.

best regards,
    Olafur
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:24 PM

Answers

• When setting SharePoint 2013 in workgroup environment it is essential to set it up as stand alone.
    Then when running the config wizard you get prompted with the error mentioned "The SDDL string contains an invalid sid or a sid that cannot be translated"

The solution then is to open sharepoint 2013 powershell: 

net user sp_search <password> /ADD
    $SearchServ = Get-Credential sp_search 
    New-SPManagedAccount -Credential $SearchServ
    $analy = get-item "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Data\Office Server\Analy*"
    $fullPath = $analy.FullName
    $name = $analy.Name
    #Add permissions for WSS_SearchService
    $acl = Get-Acl -Path $analy
    $rule = New-Object
    System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule("sp_search","FullControl", "ContainerInherit, ObjectInherit", "None","Allow")
    $acl.AddAccessRule($rule)
    Set-Acl -Path $analy -AclObject $acl
    #Add Share
    New-SmbShare –Name $name –Path $fullPath –Description
    "SearchShare" –ReadAccess Everyone –FullAccess WSS_ADMIN_WPG ,sp_search

Where sp_search is the user on the server.

Run the config again.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 5:20 PM