How to remove all remnants of Visual Studio Community 2015 from my PC? RRS feed

• Question

• I have had several problems with my copy of Visual Studio, and have come to the conclusion that the only way for me to truly and easily fix Visual Studio is to remove it and remove all remnants of it from my PC, then reinstall it. I know how to remove Visual Studio 2015 and all of the other components that it installs using Programs and Features, but where do I go from there to truly remove all remnants of it from my PC?

I am using Visual Studio Community 2015.

I would really appreciate quick responses (within 1 day) because this is holding up all of my programming.

Thanks to those who answer.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:36 PM

Answers

• Hi cjd2002,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Please take the following steps to remove all the components of visual studio 2015 Community:

1.Download the setup application you used to originally install Visual Studio 2015 Community. If you installed from media, please insert that media.
    2.Open a command prompt.
      a.Click Run on the Start menu (Start + R).
      b.Type cmd and press OK (Enter).
    3.Type in the full path to the setup application and pass the following command line switches: /uninstall /force
      Example: D:\vs_community.exe /uninstall /force
    4.Click the Uninstall button and follow the prompts.

After this command, if you still find vs 2015 related components, We'll need to use this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx

The msiinv tool is a tool which will list all installed msi on your OS. In that way you can check them and if you want to remove any of them, you may try the msiexec /x <product code> to remove that component if it is related to Visual Studio 2015.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Jiayi Li Thursday, September 24, 2015 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jiayi Li Tuesday, September 29, 2015 2:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 2:52 AM

All replies

• Hi cjd2002,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Please take the following steps to remove all the components of visual studio 2015 Community:

1.Download the setup application you used to originally install Visual Studio 2015 Community. If you installed from media, please insert that media.
    2.Open a command prompt.
      a.Click Run on the Start menu (Start + R).
      b.Type cmd and press OK (Enter).
    3.Type in the full path to the setup application and pass the following command line switches: /uninstall /force
      Example: D:\vs_community.exe /uninstall /force
    4.Click the Uninstall button and follow the prompts.

After this command, if you still find vs 2015 related components, We'll need to use this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx

The msiinv tool is a tool which will list all installed msi on your OS. In that way you can check them and if you want to remove any of them, you may try the msiexec /x <product code> to remove that component if it is related to Visual Studio 2015.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Proposed as answer by Jiayi Li Thursday, September 24, 2015 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jiayi Li Tuesday, September 29, 2015 2:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 2:52 AM
  • Jiayi, thank you for your fast response.  I will try the methods you described and will get back to you within a week.  Let me mention once again that if it does not work, I would really appreciate a fast response. Thanks again and I will keep you informed ...
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:05 PM
  • Hi cjd2002,

Since there is no response from you I have to close this case. If you still have any concern, please feel free to unmark it and post back.

Best Regards,

• Edited by Jiayi Li Tuesday, September 29, 2015 2:01 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 8:01 AM