none
Chocolatey in container with windowsservercore RRS feed

• Question

• I want to install chocolatey in container (microsoft/windowsservercore).

docker run -dti --name=test --net=nat microsoft/windowsservercore cmd

Use command:

@powershell -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))" && SET "PATH=%PATH%;%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\chocolatey\bin"

But i see a error:

Exception calling "DownloadString" with "1" argument(s): "The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure
    channel."
    At line:1 char:1
    + (iex ((new-object net.webclient).DownloadString('https://chocolatey.o ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WebException

• Edited by MihaelRF Wednesday, August 31, 2016 11:29 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 11:27 AM

Answers

• What user are you running as inside the container? The user manager\containeradministrator?

I just did a test to block my 443, I got different error msg. So this is something to do with SSL, and certificates, did you mess with your container image somehow? I kind of feel your windowsservercore image was corrupt. Can you remove it and re-pull again?

• Marked as answer by MihaelRF Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:55 AM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:03 PM

All replies

• Why are you not showing some love to Install-PackageProvider:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt676543.aspx

It's only one simple command to get you Chocolatey, give it a try.

Friday, September 2, 2016 4:20 PM
  • PS C:\> Install-PackageProvider -name chocolatey -Force

WARNING: Unable to download the list of available providers. Check your internet connection.

Install-PackageProvider : No match was found for the specified search criteria for the provider 'chocolatey'. The

package provider requires 'PackageManagement' and 'Provider' tags. Please check if the specified package has the tags.

+ Install-PackageProvider -name chocolatey -Force

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (Microsoft.Power...PackageProvider:InstallPackageProvider) [Install-Pac

kageProvider], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoMatchFoundForProvider,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.InstallPackagePro

vider

PS C:\> Get-PackageProvider -ListAvailable

Name Version DynamicOptions

---- ------- --------------

msi 3.0.0.0 AdditionalArguments

msu 3.0.0.0

PowerShellGet 1.0.0.1 PackageManagementProvider, Type, Scope, InstallUpdate, NoPathUpdate, Filte...

Programs 3.0.0.0 IncludeWindowsInstaller, IncludeSystemComponent

find-module

NuGet provider is required to continue

PowerShellGet requires NuGet provider version '2.8.5.201' or newer to interact with NuGet-based repositories. The NuGet

provider must be available in 'C:\Program Files\PackageManagement\ProviderAssemblies' or

'C:\Users\ContainerAdministrator\AppData\Local\PackageManagement\ProviderAssemblies'. You can also install the NuGet

provider by running 'Install-PackageProvider -Name NuGet -MinimumVersion 2.8.5.201 -Force'. Do you want PowerShellGet

to install and import the NuGet provider now?

[Y] Yes [N] No [S] Suspend [?] Help (default is "Y"): Y

WARNING: Unable to download the list of available providers. Check your internet connection.

PackageManagement\Install-PackageProvider : No match was found for the specified search criteria for the provider

'NuGet'. The package provider requires 'PackageManagement' and 'Provider' tags. Please check if the specified package

has the tags.

At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerShellGet\1.0.0.1\PSModule.psm1:6679 char:21

+ ... $null = PackageManagement\Install-PackageProvider -Name $script:N ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (Microsoft.Power...PackageProvider:InstallPackageProvider) [Install-Pac

kageProvider], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoMatchFoundForProvider,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.InstallPackagePro

vider

PackageManagement\Import-PackageProvider : No match was found for the specified search criteria and provider name

'NuGet'. Try 'Get-PackageProvider -ListAvailable' to see if the provider exists on the system.

At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerShellGet\1.0.0.1\PSModule.psm1:6685 char:21

+ ... $null = PackageManagement\Import-PackageProvider -Name $script:Nu ...

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (NuGet:String) [Import-PackageProvider], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoMatchFoundForCriteria,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.ImportPackageProv

ider

PackageManagement\Get-PackageProvider : Unable to find package provider 'NuGet'. It may not be imported yet. Try

'Get-PackageProvider -ListAvailable'.

At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerShellGet\1.0.0.1\PSModule.psm1:6689 char:30

+ ... tProvider = PackageManagement\Get-PackageProvider -Name $script:NuGet ...

+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Microsoft.Power...PackageProvider:GetPackageProvider) [Get-PackageProvi

der], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnknownProviderFromActivatedList,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.GetPacka

geProvider

find-module : NuGet provider is required to interact with NuGet-based repositories. Please ensure that '2.8.5.201' or

newer version of NuGet provider is installed.

+ find-module

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Find-Module], InvalidOperationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotInstallNuGetProvider,Find-Module

Monday, September 5, 2016 8:52 AM
  • PS C:\> Install-PackageProvider -Name Chocolatey -Force

Name                           Version          Source           Summary
    ----                           -------          ------           -------
    chocolatey                     2.8.5.130        https://onege... ChocolateyPrototype provider for the OneGet meta-package manager

Did you notice this in your error msg:

Monday, September 5, 2016 10:47 AM
  • Yes, I noticed and I know about it. But I have Internet connection in my container. I think than I have problem with SSL.

Where did you run this command: computer or container?

Monday, September 5, 2016 3:45 PM
  • In a brand new container out of windowsservercore.

How did you test Internet access? Does DNS work? Are you behind a corp firewall? Using some kind of proxy?

Monday, September 5, 2016 3:50 PM
  • On Windows Server 2016 TP5?

Ping, tracert

Yes, dns works, I ping google.com. 

We have no a corp firewall and proxy.

May be use the transparent network for a container?

• Edited by MihaelRF Tuesday, September 6, 2016 7:41 AM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 7:41 AM
  • I'm running a TP5 VM on Azure. And I'm using NAT, that shouldn't be the problem. I even tried your powershell script at the beginning, that works fine. Just guessing, you probably blocked out going traffic on port 443?

If you start a new container, and try this:

curl -Uri https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1 -UseBasicParsing -OutFile install.ps1
    See if you can download this file

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 10:33 AM
  • :(

curl : The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.At line:1 char:1+ curl -Uri https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1 -UseBasicParsing -OutFil ...+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (System.Net.HttpWebRequest:HttpWebRequest) [Invoke-WebRequest], WebException+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : WebCmdletWebResponseException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand

But I tried this command at the dockerhost, and this command is executed

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:30 AM
  • What user are you running as inside the container? The user manager\containeradministrator?

I just did a test to block my 443, I got different error msg. So this is something to do with SSL, and certificates, did you mess with your container image somehow? I kind of feel your windowsservercore image was corrupt. Can you remove it and re-pull again?

• Marked as answer by MihaelRF Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:55 AM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:03 PM
  • My great, very very,  the greatest thank you!!! :)

I remove image. Restart server. And pull image again.

And all commands worked :)

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:55 AM