EXPERT ADVICE needed on an idea of mine RRS feed

• Question

• This is the second time I've posted this thread. Since it got deleted it probably meant that the following suggestion is completely impossible. Anyway...

I have little experience with the actual internal goings on of a PC. I've built a few in my time but the specific functions are a mystery to me. It seems that the optional harware in PCs (gfx/sound cards) are there simply to process inputted information then convert it into some kind of output (monitor/speakers). If this is basically all these do then surely one could build a program which runs through the processor and performs the same task, or maybe it could enhance the performance of the devices. It just thought this having just used a PC with no sound card which stops me from playing any AV file in WMP.

I know i'm probably being a complete newbie here but any help please?

btw how do U play just the video in e.g. WMP??

Thursday, April 13, 2006 8:57 AM

Answers

• You could indeed have the processor do the work, however these kinds of cards are far more specialized and optimized than the processor, and much much better at it. Basically, it allows the processor to concentrate on things like making sure the card is getting the right information, and not having to do the processing itself.

If you think about a game, the processor is controlling every aspect of what's going on. It tells the graphics card that there is a wall in front, and what it's texture is. The graphics card then draws that wall, allowing the processor to concentrate on more important things like the monster sneaking up behind you.

So, the short answer is no, moving that work onto the processor will not make things better and will in fact make things much, much worse.

The easiest way to just play video is just to mute the sound...

Thursday, April 13, 2006 11:05 AM

All replies

• You could indeed have the processor do the work, however these kinds of cards are far more specialized and optimized than the processor, and much much better at it. Basically, it allows the processor to concentrate on things like making sure the card is getting the right information, and not having to do the processing itself.

If you think about a game, the processor is controlling every aspect of what's going on. It tells the graphics card that there is a wall in front, and what it's texture is. The graphics card then draws that wall, allowing the processor to concentrate on more important things like the monster sneaking up behind you.

So, the short answer is no, moving that work onto the processor will not make things better and will in fact make things much, much worse.

The easiest way to just play video is just to mute the sound...

Thursday, April 13, 2006 11:05 AM
  • I tried muting teh sound on WMP but... I must B doin it wrong... "no sound device found" ...or woteva.

I gotta 'nother idea. How about using the USB ports for a external card I heard U can do that with sound but wot aboot GFX?

Saturday, April 15, 2006 9:37 PM
  • I think the latency you'd get over USB would be too slow. The graphics card is on a VERY high bandwidth bus on the motherboard, just look at all the PCI Express x?? cards coming out.

As for muting the sound, the way I was actually suggesting is just switching the speakers off

Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:54 PM