none
How to migrate the custom template changes to other MS Office 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

In order to customize my MS Word 2010 ribbon i have used Custom UI Editor which gives an file named as "Customui14.xml"

Now i have saved the template file and attach the icons used in customui14.xml to my MS Word 2010 document. Now i have taken the exported UI file and move to other system.

Here I her two file my template file which contain the new changes of CustomUI14.xml and the exportedui file. I kept the template file in STARTUP folder.

Now hen i import the exported ui file to my MS Word 2010. I do not find the change i have made to the template file in my machine.

Why is that problem occurring. Is there a way to handle this problem 

My cutomUI14.xml is shown below:

Thanks in advance.

Pankaj Kumar Yadav-

Friday, June 14, 2013 6:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Pankaj

It appears that there's a group policy active that's been set by IT Administration that doesn't allow Ribbon customizations... I've found a thread that deals with this message. It's in German, but the essence is that there is a Registry Key that can disable Ribbon customizations. Here's the kernel of the solution posted at http://www.office-loesung.de/ftopic461525_0_0_asc.php

""Disable UI extending from documents and templates". Diese standen auf "Nicht konfiguriert" und ich habe sie auf "Deaktiviert" gesetzt. Danach wurden die folgenden RegKeys gesetzt.  

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Toolbars]
    "NoExtensibilityCustomizationFromDocument"=dword:00000000
    "DisableToolbarCustomizationUI"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Toolbars\Excel]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Toolbars\PowerPoint]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Toolbars\Word]
    Office 2007 geschlossen, neu gestartet und siehe da, die custom Ribbons werden wieder angezeigt. "

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:24 AM

All replies

• You need to make the customizations in a template that you save in the Word Startup folder.

See the following page of Greg Maxey's website:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/customize_ribbon_main.html

If you want the same customizations on another machine, you need to place a copy of the template in the Word Startup folder on that machine.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org

Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:57 AM
  • Hi Pankaj

It's not very clear what you're doing, I'm afraid.

As a general rule, I think it would be better to NOT use an ExportedUi file. Just copy the template to the Startup folder of the machine where you want to use the Ribbon customization and any macros saved in the template.

Sunday, June 16, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Hello Doug,

I have made the customization in the template file at my machine and just copy that template to STARTUP folder of other machine. But i am not able to see my changes in that template file.

Do i have to make the changes again in other machine to the same template file which i copied to STARTUP folder?

Pankaj Kumar Yadav-

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:18 AM
  • Hi Pankaj

Please provide more information about the "changes" to which you refer.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:19 AM
  • I am almost there but facing this issue:

Any ideas about that?

Pankaj Kumar Yadav-

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Hi Pankaj

It appears that there's a group policy active that's been set by IT Administration that doesn't allow Ribbon customizations... I've found a thread that deals with this message. It's in German, but the essence is that there is a Registry Key that can disable Ribbon customizations. Here's the kernel of the solution posted at http://www.office-loesung.de/ftopic461525_0_0_asc.php

""Disable UI extending from documents and templates". Diese standen auf "Nicht konfiguriert" und ich habe sie auf "Deaktiviert" gesetzt. Danach wurden die folgenden RegKeys gesetzt.  

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Toolbars]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Toolbars\Excel]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Toolbars\PowerPoint]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Toolbars\Word]
    Office 2007 geschlossen, neu gestartet und siehe da, die custom Ribbons werden wieder angezeigt. "

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:24 AM