Rookie Trouble RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I've started to play with Blend and WPF, and coming mainly from the Java world I have to say it's very promising.

Anyway, I thought I should try to make a Silverlight app as a test for consuming some WebServices that I wrote for internal use. However, I ran into trouble at once. The webservice won't be found,though they are both running in my devenvironment, localhost. I then thought I should try to publish it to my local IIS to see if it could help getting my silverlight app out from Vs Studio.

It didn't, I got prompted to install silverlight (again) and reading up on the versions made me wonder... "

installed version 2.0.30523
    requested version 2.0.30226

If silverlight is that picky about versions, I'm afraid everybody will go mad at having to uninstall and reinstall every week? How could that be?

Regards
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:13 AM

Answers

• Well, Silverlight doesn't have to be that picky, the version in the HTML/ASPX file determines which is requested.  In your situation it sounds like you are either building against Beta 1 or recently upgraded your build tools to Beta 2 but started this project in Beta 1.  EIther way, your PC has Beta 2 installed but the page is looking for Beta 1.  Two things you can do to fix it.  Either upgrade the version requested in the HTML/ASPX file to the higher one, or remove the version requirement completly.  Either one will work.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:26 AM

All replies

• Well, Silverlight doesn't have to be that picky, the version in the HTML/ASPX file determines which is requested.  In your situation it sounds like you are either building against Beta 1 or recently upgraded your build tools to Beta 2 but started this project in Beta 1.  EIther way, your PC has Beta 2 installed but the page is looking for Beta 1.  Two things you can do to fix it.  Either upgrade the version requested in the HTML/ASPX file to the higher one, or remove the version requirement completly.  Either one will work.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:26 AM
  • Thank you, that certainly did the trick.

Also - a bonus for including a link to your upcoming book :)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:39 AM