none
How to display splash screen at boot-up on WinCE 6.0 R3 device? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

My WinCE 6.0 booloader is currently hard-coded to 480x272 display mode. Now I would like to display a 800x600 mode on LCD Screen. I gone through Wince 6.0 fully,code was developed by GIMP tool and i have given code for your reference below,

//GIMP header image file format

static unsigned int width = 480; //800

static unsigned int height = 272; //600

/* Call this macro repeatedly. After each use, the pixel data can be extracted */

#define HEADER_PIXEL(data,pixel) {\

pixel[0] = header_data_cmap[(unsigned char)data[0]][0]; \

pixel[1] = header_data_cmap[(unsigned char)data[0]][1]; \

pixel[2] = header_data_cmap[(unsigned char)data[0]][2]; \

data ++; }

static const char header_data_cmap[256][3] = {,,,..}

static const char header_data[] = {,,,..}

"I am using ATMEL BSP for AT9SAM9G45 controller"

Would anyone please give me some tips or conversion tool from .BMP to GIMP header file format for display a splash screen on 800x600 mode at boot-up on Wince 6.0?

Thanks

Saravanan.A

Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Sarvanan,

Irrespective of the file format display sub system always needs RGB image to display on to the LCD screen.

You need to look into the display subsystem and configure it for SVGA (800*600).

Write the RGB data (after extracting it ) of the image to frame buffer for display.

Misbah

Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:02 AM
  • Hi misbah,

Thank u for ur reply, We have already configured display subsystem for 800x600 but the BMP file which we have to display on the screen is not configured for 800x600. Now our task is to convert BMP file to 800x600 than it has to be again converted to GIMP header file so that we could display our company logo while system boots up.

Please help us in fixing this issue ASAP.

Awaiting for your reply.

Thanks and Regards,

Saravanan.A

Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:58 AM
  • Sarvanan,

There should be scalar on the display sub system which should scale up/down the source image in the frame buffer to the destination LCD display.

.BMP image is RGB image with header, as far as i know if you remove the header from .bmp file it can be directly displayed onto LCD.

Hence,

Either configure scalar of display subsystem and scale up/down the image to fit onto the display.

Or crop/resize the .bmp file itself to the display size and use it.

As far as GIMP usage i have never used this tool. I can only help you in wince .

Misbah

• Proposed as answer by Misbah Khan Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:50 PM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Hi guys,
                Here are some instructions on how you can create a header file from a bitmap using Gimp:

1. Open the image using Paint and re-save it as a "256 color bitmap"
    2. Take this new 256 color bitmap and open it with Gimp.
    3. Select File-> Save As..
    4. Specify a location to save the new file to.
    5. Expand the "Select File Type" option by selecting the + symbol.
    6. Select "C source code header" from the list.
    7. Push "Save"
    8. Copy this code in place of the previous code and ensure that all
        of the variable names are the same.

This will generate code that eboot understands. In order for an image that is larger to work, the necessary modifications to the eboot must have already been made to support your larger screen. If these modifications have not already been made, the bitmap will not display.

Regards,
    Saravanan.A

Thursday, January 6, 2011 11:34 AM