Task manager in asp.net RRS feed

• Question

• User-704778891 posted

Hi

I am not sure if this is correct place to post but I hope it is.

I am developing custom module in DotNetNuke which should send e-mail once per day/week/month/.. depends on user. So I wanted to use DotNetNuke Scheduler but it doesn't work in wersion 4.9.0 (and now there is no newer version despite beta 5) so on dotnetnuke forum I was advised to write my omn 'scheduler'.

So  can someone help me to write  (mayby some tutorials, clues) it? I need to fire in once per day or it could be also fired once per hour but it has to work.

It can be set on exact hour (e.g.: 3:00 AM) or can be fired on every 1 hour (or any other period).

Can someone please help me?

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:57 AM

Answers

• User541108374 posted

Can't be used asp.net framework to do it somehow

Well, you can create a windows service that can pick up configuration files to see when a hit on your page must be performed. Do you have installation rights on your server for such a thing?

I afraid that I haven't possibility to use windows task scheduler

You can't use task scheduler on your own pc?

The server where you host your application, is it a server that's maintained by you, or on which you have a lot of privileges or do you use an external hosting company? If so, ask if they provide the possibility of cron jobs.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:46 AM

All replies

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

do you have the possibility to set windows task scheduler? If so you can create a webform that peforms the tasks and use a scheduling service (might be your own pc but is less reliable) to call that page periodically.

Grz, Kris.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:08 AM
  • User-704778891 posted

Thanks for fast reply.

but, well I afraid that I haven't possibility to use windows task scheduler. Can't be used asp.net framework to do it somehow?

By the way I am using .net framework 3.5

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:32 AM
  • User541108374 posted

Can't be used asp.net framework to do it somehow

Well, you can create a windows service that can pick up configuration files to see when a hit on your page must be performed. Do you have installation rights on your server for such a thing?

I afraid that I haven't possibility to use windows task scheduler

You can't use task scheduler on your own pc?

The server where you host your application, is it a server that's maintained by you, or on which you have a lot of privileges or do you use an external hosting company? If so, ask if they provide the possibility of cron jobs.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:46 AM
  • User-704778891 posted

Well this is external provider and I don't know if I have permision to add windows service. But thanks for help I think I will use your clues

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:37 AM
  • User-319574463 posted

While the correct way to go isa Windows Service, this is usually imp[ossible in a shared hosting situation. There is a however a workaround at http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/WebSiteSchedule.aspx - Create scheduled tasks for your website (no 3rd party or heavy coding involved)!

Friday, December 26, 2008 6:36 AM