none
Add a C# Console Application Project Template to an already existing SSDT 2015 + Visual Studio 2015 integrated shell installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I want to create a C# console application using Visual studio, but it is not available as a Project template when I try to create a new Project. The only existing Project templates I have available are Integration Services, Reporting Services and Analyses Services which all stems from my SSDT 2015 installation. 

I have been trying to find a way to complement my Visual Studio 2015 integrated Shell installation with a C# Console Application, and by searching different forums it seemed as I would need to open a Developer command, but I do not have that. I also couldn't go to my Common7 folder and open a regular cmd window and type `/envdev visualvstemplates`. \envdev visualtemplates` gave an error that it couldn't install new templates. 

I figure this is due to Integrated Shell having the constraint that "No Visual Studio languages or their associated project templates or project item templates, are included in the integrated shell. No language-specific implementations of other features are included, for example Visual Basic code snippets." (from https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb129445(v=vs.60) ). 

I therefore tried to install Visual studio 2015 isolated Shell, but after the survey at visualstudio.com I got prompted that "Sorry we couldn't find any downloads for you". 

Can I use a Visual studio 2017 Community installation for this? If so, would there be any clashes between the VS2015 version and the new VS2017 version? I have lots of integrated packages, cubes etc. developed from Visual studio 2015, and I do not wish to inflict any issues with these. VS2015 works fine, I just want to have the option to develop a C# console application. 

I have tried to circumvent the need for a C# Console Application by creating a Integrated Service Project and a Script task, but when I got prompted (from the guide I wish to follow at https://kumarvikram.com/google-analytics-report-v4-csharp-console-app/ ) I got stuck at the page to alter the .config file which I did not seem to have, and to create multiple .cs files (ReportManager.cs and Program.cs in the same SSIS script task). 

Could someone please shed some light into this? 

Monday, November 5, 2018 10:33 AM

Answers

• SSDT is just the VS shell with BI projects. You cannot use it to develop C# apps. 

You can install VS 2017 community edition and have access to C# projects. You can then run the SSDT installer again and tell it to use the existing VS 2017 instance you just installed to add BI to that version. You can then develop both apps in the same VS instance. You'll want to remove your older versions to avoid confusion.

Note that you should read the SSDT release notes carefully as SSDT has compatibility requirements with the version of SQL you're targeting. Some newer versions don't work with older versions of SQL.

You can have both VS 2015 and VS 2017 installed on the same machine. When you open a "VS" file it uses the Version Selector tool to look at what version of VS was used to create it and then use that version. In some cases you may find it using the wrong version. In those cases you'll have to manually use the other version.

In general you shouldn't need a console app to do SSIS work. A console app would mandate you schedule it to run as out of the box SQL isn't going to run an arbitrary process. Additionally you'd have to put the console app someplace the SQL service could get to it. Without knowing what you're trying to do it is hard to say what you need to do in SSIS but there really isn't anything that you can do in a console app you cannot do in SSIS. I recommend you post your question in the SSIS forums to get help with it.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Monday, November 5, 2018 3:39 PM

All replies

• SSDT is just the VS shell with BI projects. You cannot use it to develop C# apps. 

You can install VS 2017 community edition and have access to C# projects. You can then run the SSDT installer again and tell it to use the existing VS 2017 instance you just installed to add BI to that version. You can then develop both apps in the same VS instance. You'll want to remove your older versions to avoid confusion.

Note that you should read the SSDT release notes carefully as SSDT has compatibility requirements with the version of SQL you're targeting. Some newer versions don't work with older versions of SQL.

You can have both VS 2015 and VS 2017 installed on the same machine. When you open a "VS" file it uses the Version Selector tool to look at what version of VS was used to create it and then use that version. In some cases you may find it using the wrong version. In those cases you'll have to manually use the other version.

In general you shouldn't need a console app to do SSIS work. A console app would mandate you schedule it to run as out of the box SQL isn't going to run an arbitrary process. Additionally you'd have to put the console app someplace the SQL service could get to it. Without knowing what you're trying to do it is hard to say what you need to do in SSIS but there really isn't anything that you can do in a console app you cannot do in SSIS. I recommend you post your question in the SSIS forums to get help with it.

Monday, November 5, 2018 3:39 PM

I installed VS 2017 Community, created a C# Console Application and it works now. I didn't get it to work using SSIS, even though I added a App.config file, and so on. I've learned that you can run the C# Console application using SSIS / SQL Agent Job either way, so it'll be fine. Thanks!
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 12:18 PM