How to measure my robotics application Network overload (particularly HTTP messages overhead) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I used robotics studio to develop an application and I am trying to make a RESTful communication between services. I need to check some network performances when I run the application among which the RESTful API's overhead is the most important.

Does anyone know how can I measure the network overload (par. API's overhead) where my development tools is MRDS ? Does MRDS provide any facility to do such thing ? or is there any tools that can be used for this purpose ?

Thank you

r.safari

Friday, November 9, 2012 6:59 PM

Answers

• You will  have to do it manually. Record the timestamp before sending the message, and then again when you get the responce. The difference is your approximate roundtrip delay. If you need better accuracy - do it from a loop multiple times, and compute the average. Keep in mind, there may be outliers, i.e. first message, occasional delays due to garbage collector, threading, etc.
    • Marked as answer by RESTAndPeace Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:11 AM

All replies

• I am not aware of built in facility in RDS. Looks like you could use a general purpose tool for this (i.e. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865)

Monday, November 12, 2012 6:48 PM
  • I searched for some tools which are specifically for REST APIs performance but mostly in Java. I am trying a good one for C# app as well . 

But now I have another question that you may know. I want to measure the execution time of my application , I mean from the moment it starts (client send the request) till it gets the last response ( robot sends the complete drive response). Do you know how can I do it ? since everything is a bit different in RDS C# apps I don't know where exactly in my code I should write a method or whatever for that that actually get executed in the right time to get the right answer.

Thank you 

r.safari

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:01 AM
  • You will  have to do it manually. Record the timestamp before sending the message, and then again when you get the responce. The difference is your approximate roundtrip delay. If you need better accuracy - do it from a loop multiple times, and compute the average. Keep in mind, there may be outliers, i.e. first message, occasional delays due to garbage collector, threading, etc.
    • Marked as answer by RESTAndPeace Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:11 AM
  • Thank you Greg .

r.safari

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:07 PM