Change Binding / Resource Values

Question

• This may be related to my other question regarding the ThemeResource but, i figured this maybe the more fundamental.

I added an ItemPage to my application, and I basically need to figure out how to control/define the values.  Many controls have a content defined with braces {} and I have no idea where those are.  Like, the pageTitle TextBlock has the Text property defined as {Binding Title}

What is that?  Where do I edit those "Bindings".  I guess I need sort of a structure map for how these store apps differ from standard applications.  I have the program, I have the main page, but then there is back end data.  If I create a BindingList<T> of objects that represent the different items, with say an Image and some data, how do I associate that list to the ItemPage?

Keep in mind I am coming from primarily a Windows Forms Application experience so most of this seems like it should be straight forward, but for some reason i can't (via searches or otherwise) find a programmers map.  (probably because of all the XAML which is not program code it is scriptted tags). 

Do i need to create a Item XAML file or something that defines my collection of items?  I have already found I can't access a .Net assembly directly I can only use Portable Assemblies, but that then begs the question how much of .Net code can I use.  Lists or Collections, SqlCommands, you know the things that actually do the work in a .net application, how do I link this all up to work with a metro app interface?

I know this is a lot of questions, but perhaps a more A-to-B guide would be beneficial that says: You were once a Windows Forms Developer and now you want to use Metro! 

I know it's wishful thinking to hope such a simple guide would be available, but worth a shot!

Thanks a bunch

Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner

"Never Trust a computer. Your brain is smarter than any micro-chip."
    PS - Don't mark answers on other people's questions. There are such things as Vacations and Holidays which may reduce timely activity, and until the person asking the question can test your answer, it is not correct just because you think it is. Marking it correct for them often stops other people from even reading the question and possibly providing the real "correct" answer.

Friday, April 3, 2015 3:46 PM

All replies

• I think this is what you need:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/hh758318.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, April 3, 2015 7:51 PM