none
Column Level Encryption in sql server 2014 ( not in sql 2016 please)

Question

• Hi Team, 

Can some one help me to understand that is column level encryption available in sql server 2014 ( i know it is there in sql 2016) , IF so can you please share me the best link to understand how to perform column level encryption in sql 2014 . 

awaiting for your reply 

thank you 

hemadri

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 9:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please go through the below link which explain you about column level encryption with the examples.

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2431/sql-server-column-level-encryption-example-using-symmetric-keys/

Ramesh. M

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 10:01 AM
  • Thanks for your reply , 

I have gone through the URL , before shooting the query in this website. I am seeking your help to know is ther any other user friendly Site which will explain the subject better, 

The present website is little confusing ... 

hemadri

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 10:12 AM
  • Can some one help me to understand that is column level encryption available in sql server 2014 ( i know it is there in sql 2016) , IF so can you please share me the best link to understand how to perform column level encryption in sql 2014 . 

Column-level encryption is avaiable in SQL 2014, but if you are thinking of the feature Always Encrypted, this feature was added in 2016. What you have in SQL 2014 is the older arrangement where you use symmetric keys protected by certificates that are protected by the database master key or a password. You can also use the functions de/encryptbypassphrase. All these are inferior from a security perspective than Always Encrypted, since en/decryption happens in SQL Server.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 10:18 PM