How can I specify the Project Template or Item Template to particular type RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

I'm using VS2010 Premium for development, and I want to create a project template and item template for future use,

And I create a VB test project, do customization on the project and export as template, but when export the project, I cannot specify the of  project to be Visual Basic Category and Test Sub-Category,

How can I do this so that the new template item listed  in the Visual Basic --> Test list when add Project prompt box come out?

Thx alot

Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, it is normal. If we add new item for one specific app, it just list the items which are supported by this specific language/app. It is different from the project templates.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:20 AM
  • ic, thx Jack and it's no more critical as I can get the item from Common category...

• Marked as answer by TungLee Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:26 AM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi TungLee,

You could try to copy the template to the path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\VisualBasic

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\VisualBasic

Reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd885241.aspx

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 29, 2013 8:01 AM
  • Thx a lot Jack

I have zip copy of exported template in VB folder before but I cannot find the item in the list after move into the VB folder... I also try to search by name during the add Item but also cannot find...

Is there any other config I need to add before move the zip to VB folder?

Friday, March 29, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to receive your reply.

I try to check it in my side, it worked well, I’m afraid that it is related to your zip file.

In addition, we could copy it to the following path if we just want to see it with the current log-in user. I create a folder “MyList”, and then I copy the .zip file to this folder.

C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Basic\MyList\Test1.zip

I could get the result like the following screen shot.

1. I create a project in VS2010.
    2. File->Export Template…->Project template->save the Test1.zip file.
    3. And then copy it to the path C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Basic\MyList

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Monday, April 1, 2013 5:59 AM
  • Dear Jack

Further check and I find the following, ...

1. can only get the Common Items templates list when I add Item in VB project, it not  specify whether the list is from C# folder or Visual Base.

2. I can only find my exported Template in that Common Items templates when I put in ...\Templates\ItemTemplates (... is which I config to read the templates), but I cannot find this when I further moving the exported template to ...\Templates\ItemTemplates\Visual Basic\MyList

Hence just want to know is the behavior above normal (as expected)?

Thx a lot

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 3:20 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, it is normal. If we add new item for one specific app, it just list the items which are supported by this specific language/app. It is different from the project templates.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:20 AM
  • ic, thx Jack and it's no more critical as I can get the item from Common category...

• Marked as answer by TungLee Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:26 AM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:26 AM