none
I cannot Debug my C# code after installing windows 7 why? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have install windows 7 OS in my personal computer. I have also installed VS 2008 in it. Now while working in VS 2k8 the debugger is not hit the break points and so that I cannot debug my program in windows 7. in Windows XP it was running fine. Please guide me what is the problem?

Many Thanks.
    --

Regards,
    Asif Javaid

Software Engineer
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 12:51 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You may take the following steps to see if this issue still exists:

a)     Try to run devenv /ResetSettings (in command prompt) to eliminate the related potential settings problem.

b)     Try disabling Add-ins (e.g. “Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) or run “devenv.exe /SafeMode”.This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems. (For more detailed VS command line switches information, see: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xee0c8y7.aspx )

c)     Try creating a new project. Sometimes corrupted project settings can cause problems. These are project specific.

d)     Make sure that we have the latest service pack applied.

e)     Try to reboot the operating system to safe mode. This can help to isolate whether any other applications are interfering with Visual Studio. Note that some features (like IIS) are not available under safe mode. Please check whether this can be applied or not. In addition to safe mode, we can also try “clean boot”: How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 .

f)      Try to create a new user account. This can help isolate user profile corruption related causes.

If this issue still exists, you could post it on the Visual Studio Debugger Forum so you can get better and quicker response.

Thanks for your understanding.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 8:24 AM