none
Azure Backup failing (MARS): An internal error prevented the modification of the backup policy. (0x186AA) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am experiencing an issue using Azure Backup (MARS) when trying to edit/create a scheduled backup, or performing a manual backup.

The error:

An internal error prevented the modification of the backup policy.

This is a domain joined Windows Server 2016 Hyper V virtual machine.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled MARS to no effect.

Cloudbackup event log:

The backup operation has completed with errors.

I can provide CBEngineCurr.errlog if required.

(This is follow on from twitter support @FreelanceX_KZR)

(Cant post screenshots as account not verified)

Thanks

Monday, September 18, 2017 11:18 AM

Answers

• Thank you thank you thank you!

I managed to fix it. Your advice pointed me in the right direction!

As the OnlineBackup folder was empty, I tried creating a task in it, which created successfully. Therefore, I knew that a task COULD be created.

I exported an OnlineBackup task from another server we use Azure on, tried to import it into this server and got an error saying a task with that name already existed!

So did a little bit of a Google Bing and found an article, which said to check this key for entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\OnlineBackup

Low and behold, there was entries relating to OnlineBackup!

So I exported the key for backup and deleted the entries. Modified the backup policy and voila! Successful modification. Tasks appear in task scheduler and new keys appear in registry.

I am now performing an immediate backup for the first time in 2 months!

The GUIDs set in the registry keys are different from the keys I previously backed up. Two reg keys completely broke Azure Backup!

Suggestion to product team: Make the errors more user friendly.

Error: An internal error prevented the modification of the backup policy means nothing to anyone.

If it said, unable to create task due to existing task with same name... I would have fixed it within an hour.

Thanks for your help though. Would never have found this out without being pointed to task scheduler issues.

• Edited by Gregg Cooper Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:28 PM Changed Google to Bing. Free Surface please!
    • Marked as answer by Gregg Cooper Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:28 PM
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:20 PM

All replies

• Thanks for reaching out Gregg! I am from the product engineering team and apologize for the inconvenience you have had to face. Please send the log files to saurse [AT] microsoft [DOT] com and we will take a look to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Saurabh Sensharma
    Program Manager, Microsoft Azure backup

Monday, September 18, 2017 11:33 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.

I have just sent over the logs.

Regards

Monday, September 18, 2017 3:16 PM
  • Any chance on an update on this? Its been a few weeks now.
    Sunday, October 1, 2017 11:21 PM
  • Hi Gregg, 
    Sorry for not being able to get back to you earlier!

We looked at the logs you provided and it looks like the Task Scheduler is throwing an unexpected error when you try to perform these operations.

Here is what you can do:

Go to Task Scheduler and perform the following actions. 

1. On the left pane navigate to Task Scheduler Library->Microsoft->OnlineBackup

2. Select the tasks in the central pane

3. Delete all tasks that appear in the central pane as shown below

4. Open Azure Backup agent console 

5. Go to "Schedule Backup" in the Actions pane and then save the Backup Schedule and Retention that you intend to set and click Finish. 

The above steps should help you successfully edit the policy to your desired settings. Once you do that click "Back up now" and let us know if the problem is resolved. 

Thanks for your using Azure backup! 
    Best Regards
    Saurabh

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:10 PM
  • Thank you for getting back to me.

Unfortunately, there are no tasks set in the OnlineBackup folder so there isnt any tasks to delete?! :-(

I can't delete the OnlineBackup folder either as it says my account does not have permission to do so (domain administrator).

It appears it can't create a task at all then. What would be my next step?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, October 5, 2017 11:51 AM
  • Thank you thank you thank you!

I managed to fix it. Your advice pointed me in the right direction!

As the OnlineBackup folder was empty, I tried creating a task in it, which created successfully. Therefore, I knew that a task COULD be created.

I exported an OnlineBackup task from another server we use Azure on, tried to import it into this server and got an error saying a task with that name already existed!

So did a little bit of a Google Bing and found an article, which said to check this key for entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\OnlineBackup

Low and behold, there was entries relating to OnlineBackup!

So I exported the key for backup and deleted the entries. Modified the backup policy and voila! Successful modification. Tasks appear in task scheduler and new keys appear in registry.

I am now performing an immediate backup for the first time in 2 months!

The GUIDs set in the registry keys are different from the keys I previously backed up. Two reg keys completely broke Azure Backup!

Suggestion to product team: Make the errors more user friendly.

Error: An internal error prevented the modification of the backup policy means nothing to anyone.

If it said, unable to create task due to existing task with same name... I would have fixed it within an hour.

Thanks for your help though. Would never have found this out without being pointed to task scheduler issues.

• Edited by Gregg Cooper Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:28 PM Changed Google to Bing. Free Surface please!
    • Marked as answer by Gregg Cooper Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:28 PM
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:20 PM
  • Wow! Glad to learn that the steps shared helped unblock you, though after a few hiccups :)

Point-taken. The error message sure needs a revision. Thank you for the suggestion for the improved message. I have your email and once we have improved this message (read as 'real soon'), I will personally email you to thank you for bringing this to our attention. 

Feel free to drop me a line at my said mailbox to share feedback, queries or to get assistance on any issues that you run to. 

Happy backing up with Azure Backup!

Best Regards!
    Saurabh

P.S. : Nice edit asking for the free Surface :). 

Thursday, October 5, 2017 3:40 PM