SQL Server Management Studio RRS feed

• Question

• User-1331886901 posted

Hey everyone,

Would someone please tell me why the new SQL Server Managment Studio comes with hardly not frills?  What happened to the SQL Enterprise Manager in SQL Server 2000? It had DTS, SQL Agent Job and step viewing, Cool Wizards.. All that great stuff. but with this new Sql Server Management Studio with 2005 all I can do is pretty much look at the data and write queries and create and modify tables. Am I missing something?

I did download an external tool which was called an import/export wizard but it sucks compaired to the DTS in SQL 2000.

I did notice when I open my Sql Server Management Studio "Express" that it is the Express version... Is there a difference?

Thanks for any help.

Monday, October 1, 2007 10:00 AM

Answers

• User-837620913 posted

Yes, the SQL Server Management Studio Express  is the free product.  It does not have as many features as the full Management Studio.  Plus there is the Visual Studio 2005 for Database Professionals which is an even higher-end product.

To get the full (regular) Management Studio you need the SQL Server Developers Edition (or Standard or Enterprise edition of SQL Server).

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 1, 2007 10:08 AM
  • User-1727935884 posted

Hi RexRacer,

I don't think it's the reason causing the problem. Actually i've both sql 2005 Enterprise Edition and sql express installed on my machine and they both work fine. I think most probably you missed something when you install sql 2005. Note that you must select those components such as Intergration service,Reporting Service, full-text index ..etc when you installing sql 2005 OR ELSE those functionality won't be availble in your sql 2005.

I suggest you re-install your sql 2005 developers edition.  Hope it helps

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 4:12 AM

All replies

• User-837620913 posted

Yes, the SQL Server Management Studio Express  is the free product.  It does not have as many features as the full Management Studio.  Plus there is the Visual Studio 2005 for Database Professionals which is an even higher-end product.

To get the full (regular) Management Studio you need the SQL Server Developers Edition (or Standard or Enterprise edition of SQL Server).

Monday, October 1, 2007 10:08 AM
  • User-1331886901 posted

Darrell,

Thank you very much for your reply

I purchased the Visual Studio Professional Edition. With it came a disk labeled "SQL Developers Edition" I installed it and I do have SQL 2005 Installed on my system. But I also have Express installed with the SQL Server Management Studio Express installed as well.

Do you believe this is causing a problem.. That maybe I need to un-install both and simply reinstall the SQL Developers Edition 2005?

Thanks for your advice.

Monday, October 1, 2007 10:46 AM
  • User-1727935884 posted

Hi RexRacer,

I don't think it's the reason causing the problem. Actually i've both sql 2005 Enterprise Edition and sql express installed on my machine and they both work fine. I think most probably you missed something when you install sql 2005. Note that you must select those components such as Intergration service,Reporting Service, full-text index ..etc when you installing sql 2005 OR ELSE those functionality won't be availble in your sql 2005.

I suggest you re-install your sql 2005 developers edition.  Hope it helps

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 4:12 AM