TFS 2013 using Git across multiple locations - TFS Proxy? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're setting up a new TFS implementation that will need to be accessed from multiple geographic locations. The code repository in use is Git, so that is automatically a distributed solution. As we're not using TF Version Control will implementing a TFS Proxy in the remote sites give us any benefit? Could we install a TFS App server in each remote location for local people to use but pointing at the main DB? Obviously we can't use NLB between locations. I'm thinking of using SQL 2014 Always On to create copies of the DB on each site for DR purposes - if a failover happened could people at the remote site continue working if their local App server was now using the local copy of the DB?

So many options!!

any help gratefully received.

Mark.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark,   

Thanks for your post.

In this scenario, we suggest you install and use TFS Proxy Server.

You can use the SQL 2014 Always On your TFS DBs, but I think you needn’t copy the DBs to each site. You need keeping the primary SQL Server works, then other locations connect to your TFS Server using TFS Proxy Server. 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 23, 2015 3:04 AM
  • Hi Mark,

If there’s anything misunderstood, please describe your question in more detail and we will try to provide the better responses.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 26, 2015 7:54 AM
  • We've finally got round to the point where we're trying to run builds in a remote location and the TFS Proxy does NOT create a local copy of the GIT repository. (Hence the previous 'answer' is not an answer!

Since all of our code is in Git and we don't want to move to TFS Source Control how can we get build servers at the remote site to use a locally cached copy of the GIT repository? We don't want to have separate Project Collections as we have cross project requirements.

Currently it's taking 5 minutes more to run a build in our remote location as it has to wait while the GIT PULL happens over the WAN. The whole point of Git is that it's a distributed source control - having it all in one central database kills the usefulness of that.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks, 

Mark.

Friday, June 12, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Hi.

Do you mean it is possible to connect to a TFS Git repository through TFS Proxy server? I've been trying to do it but I couldn't find any way to do it.

If it is possible, could you send a link or whatever to learn how to get it? I haven't found too much information about this scenario, I haven't found a way to resolve, just some blogs saying that this is not possible.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 4:03 PM