SL Client - Blank Screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

Apologies for the simple question. I have searched and after numerous hits, didn't find a thread that matched.

I have a 3-tier LS application deployed to Azure. The SL client is configured for out of browser, and works on one machine, but on two others it's a blank (white) window that doesn't proceed to the logon screen (Forms Auth). If I switch back to a browser based SL application it works fine.

Any suggestions on how I track this down?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Adam

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:38 AM

Answers

• An Update:

Discovered that reinstalling Silverlight resolved the issue on one machine. Not sure what was broken with it, but I tried this based on the fact that every time my Win10 development machine is updated it requires a reinstall of Silverlight 5.

I'll test the same workaround with the other two machines today. It would be good to understand what is disrupting the Silverlight installation though ....

Sunday, August 14, 2016 11:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Adam,

Here are some hints:

To update the LightSwitch application, you need only re-publish it to the installation point. This should be true for all application types: web applications, desktop applications published to the web/Azure, or desktop applications run on the local machine. After each successful publish the application version is incremented. For Desktop applications hosted locally, LightSwitch applications get updates for free from ClickOnce. For Desktop applications hosted on the web, LightSwitch has to use the Out-of-browser functionality built in to Silverlight. Check out

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd550721(VS.95).aspx for more info.  

You can also  enable diagnostics in Lightswitch, It will give more hints to troubleshoot. 

Regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Angie Xu Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:57 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:55 PM
  • Hi, attach all references at project.

We have in Past Same problem, in certain machines, with some dll installed works, in others no.

Solution.

Go to References, and then put make local copy.

Bye!

Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:44 PM
  • Thanks Angie.

I had been reviewing the Out Of Browser page previously, but it's not given me any leads as yet. I looked at enabled the diagnostics page which I hadn't tried previously. Interesting, but sadly as the application works fine as a Web application and only present issues when configured as a  Desktop application this didn't provide any leads (Step 2 is to switch the configuration back to a Web app).

I'll keep hunting...

Sunday, August 14, 2016 2:19 PM
  • Thanks Ivan.

All the SL related projects/resources appear to be marked to make a local copy. I have one additional project file with more resources which I'm looking at, however I had this issues prior to adding this in so I don't believe this is an issue.

Sunday, August 14, 2016 2:20 PM
  • An Update:

Discovered that reinstalling Silverlight resolved the issue on one machine. Not sure what was broken with it, but I tried this based on the fact that every time my Win10 development machine is updated it requires a reinstall of Silverlight 5.

I'll test the same workaround with the other two machines today. It would be good to understand what is disrupting the Silverlight installation though ....

Sunday, August 14, 2016 11:46 PM
  • This worked on one of the clients playing up. The second one just gets stuck in a loop of saying "Updated successfully." but I believe this is because the machine is sitting behind a firewall and isn't connecting to the back end correctly.
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:01 AM