none
ADO memory management RRS feed

• Question

• Analyzing ADO operation, it seem that it keeps a memory pool for the datasets, probably in order to reuse memory and not to fragmente it too much. I use very large datasets in my applications (Win7/WIn2K3 mainly), and it quickly runs out of memory.Is

it possible to fine tune this memory manager?

Saturday, May 17, 2014 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hello,

>> Is it possible to fine tune this memory manager?

If you mean the ADO.NET DataSet, the usage memory will be allocated when the DataSet is filled with data automatically, the size is decided by the amount of the data. So it is not possible to tune the memort manager.

>> I use very large datasets in my applications (Win7/WIn2K3 mainly), and it quickly runs out of memory

If you use your DataSet with larger amount of data, I think you need to call it .Clear() method to dispose these useless data timely because the DataSet will combine your current data with original data.

If I misunderstand, please let me know.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 19, 2014 3:42 AM
  • I do not run on .NET, but on direct ADO interface. Some years ago, I saw a page, probably inside MSDN, that explained a recommended registry configuration to fine tune the memory that was reused along several ADO queries, but I'm not finding it anymore.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:33 PM
  • Hello,

All ADO APIs are listed here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms678086(v=vs.85).aspx

However I do not find that there is information regarding tune the memory to reuse along ADO queries. You can check these APIs.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:59 AM
  • As far as I remember, the fine tune was not directly through the API, but actually in the system registry, specifying how the dataset memory used in one call should be pooled and reused on further calls, but I can't find it anywhere.
    Friday, August 1, 2014 6:32 PM