none
XDT Transform File Generator

Question

• I'd like to generate xdt transform files without having to manually find differences between the default web.config and the one that I want to transform it into for a given environment.

Is there a tool available that can take two files as input (e.g., web.config and web.dev.config), and generate the transform file that is needed to transform web.config to web.dev.config, using ctt.exe (found here, https://ctt.codeplex.com/)?

I found one online, but it didn't work as expected.

Thanks for any help.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:17 PM

Answers

• Hi brandonlashmet,

At least one tool you find could implement your requirement, please tell us how do you use it to confirm it is not work.

According to the document for ctt.exe, you need to create your own transform config file and using following command to convert the source config file based your transform config file.

ctt.exe source:"source.config" transform:"transform.config" destination:"destination.config"

Please tell us the detailed steps what you do to help us reproduce the issue in our side, which can let us confirm this issue related to the tool or the operation steps.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:12 AM

All replies

• Hi brandonlashmet,

You could try use the Visual Studio extension of Configuration Transform, which installed with Visual Studio, and you just right-click your files in your Visual Studio that needed configurated. Detailed steps please refer to:

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/579d3a78-3bdd-497c-bc21-aa6e6abbc859

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 6:02 AM
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but the extension will automatically apply transforms at build time that I've already created.

What I want is something to create the transforms themselves (if I provide the original web.config and the file that I want to transform it into (e.g., web.dev.config)).

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 4:57 PM
  • Hi brandonlashmet,

All the tools that I found that used to transform Web.conifg file are executed at build time.

According to your description, your purpose is change the Web.config to other type of config file. I don't find such tools could implement your requirement. I suggest you do this manually before there has such tools released. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:40 AM
  • I know that at least one tool attempts to do what I am asking, but it didn't work. The question remains open I suppose.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 6:14 PM
  • Hi brandonlashmet,

At least one tool you find could implement your requirement, please tell us how do you use it to confirm it is not work.

According to the document for ctt.exe, you need to create your own transform config file and using following command to convert the source config file based your transform config file.

ctt.exe source:"source.config" transform:"transform.config" destination:"destination.config"

Please tell us the detailed steps what you do to help us reproduce the issue in our side, which can let us confirm this issue related to the tool or the operation steps.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:12 AM