none
Could not find installable ISAM RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi Guys,

I'm trying to read an excel spreadsheet with ASP.net using the OLEDB Jet Driver (4.0).  I am using Windows XP, service pack 3 and have office 2007 installed.

The connection string below works fine, and reads the data as expected.

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\testfile.xls;Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;

However when I add HDR=YES;IMEX=1 to the 'Extended Properities' part of the Connection String I get the "Could not find installable ISAM" error message.

I've googled this quite a lot and it most people seem to say it's either a mis typed connection string (don't think mine is and it works fine without those two extra properities) or the JET driver isn't installed (the Jet Driver works for me and reads file fine).  So I'm rather stuck here.

Any ideas on why adding HDR=YES;IMEX=1 causes this issue?

Thanks guys.

**Edit**

Ok I've just found out that if you have multiple properities in the Extended Properities part you need double you single quotes around this part of the connection string, I did this and it works fine now.  Not exactly an easy thing to hunt down.  Hopefully this will help others in the same situation. 

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\testfile.xls;Extended Properties="Excel 8.0;HDR=YES;IMEX=1"

• Changed type Alex LiangModerator Friday, July 23, 2010 2:37 AM The customer found the solution and post it into the original post which can not be marked
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:55 PM

All replies

• The problem is with the connection string syntax. Below is a code example:

ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
         "Data Source=C:\Test Files\Book20.xls;Extended Properties=""Excel 8.0;HDR=YES;IMEX=1"""

Also, for Excel 2007 files you will need to use the ACE Provider:

http://www.connectionstrings.com/excel-2007

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Friday, July 23, 2010 2:26 PM