none
How do I get the site www.higdoninc.com displayed in fuill screen? RRS feed

• Question

• I created a web site for my company higdoninc  from a template and cannot figure out how to make the pages full screen without the blue background on the sides. I thought it was the layout.css and layout3.css sytyle sheets that controlled this, but the margins are set to 0 everywhere.

Is there a simple fix to this? Thanks.

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:24 PM

All replies

• In your CSS you have this:

#content {

background-color:#FFFFFF;
      float:left;
      margin:0;
      overflow:auto;
      padding:15px;
      position:relative;
      width:446px;

}

It's the width:446px; that is setting the page size.

Also:

#footer {
      background-color:#DDCCBB;
      clear:both;
      margin-top:0;
      padding:0;
      width:630px;
    }
    #masthead {
      background-color:#DDDDBB;
      text-align:right;
      width:630px;

}

Again the width lines are setting the page width

• Edited by Time Bandit Monday, September 24, 2012 6:34 PM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Be aware that "full screen" means completely different things to different visitors to your site.  The "screen" is the browser's window size, which you don't know, and which can be varied by the visitor.  It could be 800px wide, it could be 950px, it could be 1280px wide, it could be ....   While you probably want your site wider than it is, pick that width, don't think "full screen".

There are tools in EW that help you find where style settings are coming from.  If you select an element in Design View, the CSS Properties panel lets you see what styles are applied, and where they come from.  You can easily trace where widths for the various parts of the page are coming from.

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:55 PM
  • In your CSS you have this:

In what CSS? Where are you finding this, TB? I googled "higdoninc" and found a number of possibilities. The first several I checked had nothing resembling the OP's description of "the blue background on the sides." What are you presuming to be the OP's site, and why?

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:22 PM
  • Scott: There's a URL in the title of the post; I'm guessing that's it (but it wouldn't be obvious from tyeh body of the post).

Smacht: The absolute last thing you want is a site that fills up the entire width of a screen on something like a 20" monitor. The lines of text would be so long that people would have to move their heads from side to side to read them. And nobody will do that. Plus, their comprehension and retention would suffer. That's why you never see newspapers printed with lines of text that are the entire width of the pages; it's unreadable.

Plus, if you set a width at 100% you have lost all control of the layout of the page. You have no idea how wide the visitor has set their browser.

Look at how other sites are laid out--professional sites like NBC News, CNN, etc. They all use a fixed width and narrower columns--and it's for a reason.

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Thanks, Bill. Completely missed that. Unfortunately the forum software doesn't highlight URLs in topic lines, and I didn't see anything in the post itself to indicate where the site was, other than the company name. It would be nice if posters would put an actual, clickable link in their posts, but I suppose that's expecting too much...

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 24, 2012 11:18 PM
  • Hmm, took a look at the site, and apparently smacht didn't pay any attention to Bill's comment about the width of the site. I have a 1366 x 768 display on this laptop. I run Firefox not quite full screen, but I also use the TreeStyle Tabs extension that gives me a tab sidebar, permitting many more tabs down the left side of the viewport.

The result is that with the "#container" width he has chosen, 1280px, I have to scroll horizontally to read his body copy. Neither I nor most of his visitors will put up with that crap, opting instead to go to the competition's site which gives a damn about its visitors' ease of use. It ill behooves a "business solutions" company, which touts its IT expertise, to produce an unusable Web site. Kinda goes to the credibility of the company that the site represents.

Apparently the OP is only testing on his own, wide screen monitor, at full screen (and probably only one browser), and figuring that everyone else will have a similar or better display. So much for the hundreds, or thousands, of potential customers on 4:3 ratio screens, tablets, feature phones, etc. I guess he can afford to just blow off their custom as beneath his exalted notice. His choice...

cheers,
    scott

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:21 PM