none
"Early warning" for error 3048 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Is it possible to create some kind of "early warning" for error 3048? Sometimes the user opens more forms than the access jet engine can handle. I wish there was a way to inform the user that system resources are now almost completely claimed, with a suggestion to close one or more forms that may not need to be open.

Is there such a way?

Best // Peter Forss Stockholm GMT +1.00

Friday, December 15, 2017 10:09 AM

Answers

• Is there such a way?

Hi Peter,

I don't know, but I think there is not such a way.

It is not the number of forms only, but all resources, including all RecordSources for forms, reports, listboxes, etc. And I think the total number of listboxes is the most important contributor.

The number of open forms can easily be checked by the Count of the Forms-collection.

In my systematics I have never encountered that limit, probably because I do not use listboxes. A click in the control where you would have a listbox opens a dynamic form where the user can select the specific record (or record_id). After selection that form is closed again. During selection the user can sort on any columns to enhance the selection process, and do many more things.

Further I use a systematics where certain forms are closed automatically when they loose focus.

Then I have set a limit on how many times a dynamical form (all are identical) can be opened at the same time. At reaching that limit, the user is asked to close some forms. This is not to prevent error 3048, but merely for the simplicity for the user. 

Perhaps it gives you some ideas.

Imb.

• Marked as answer by ForssPeterNova Friday, December 15, 2017 12:52 PM
    Friday, December 15, 2017 12:29 PM

All replies

• Is there such a way?

Hi Peter,

I don't know, but I think there is not such a way.

It is not the number of forms only, but all resources, including all RecordSources for forms, reports, listboxes, etc. And I think the total number of listboxes is the most important contributor.

The number of open forms can easily be checked by the Count of the Forms-collection.

In my systematics I have never encountered that limit, probably because I do not use listboxes. A click in the control where you would have a listbox opens a dynamic form where the user can select the specific record (or record_id). After selection that form is closed again. During selection the user can sort on any columns to enhance the selection process, and do many more things.

Further I use a systematics where certain forms are closed automatically when they loose focus.

Then I have set a limit on how many times a dynamical form (all are identical) can be opened at the same time. At reaching that limit, the user is asked to close some forms. This is not to prevent error 3048, but merely for the simplicity for the user. 

Perhaps it gives you some ideas.

Imb.

• Marked as answer by ForssPeterNova Friday, December 15, 2017 12:52 PM
    Friday, December 15, 2017 12:29 PM
  • Hi Imb

Thank you, again.

It's always interesting to get to know your experiences. You work differently with Access and there is a lot to learn from it. What I take today is that listboxes are resource-intensive, forms automatically closed when they loose focus.

Previously, I've learned that local tables (when possible to use) consume half compared to linked tables. And that snapshots do not require the same resources as dynasets.

Best // Peter Forss Stockholm GMT +1.00

Friday, December 15, 2017 1:25 PM