Intermittent issue while trying to set access tier of blob RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have been facing intermittent issues while attempting to set the access tier of a blob. I'm trying to change the access tier from Hot-->Cool. While the job runs successfully, at times the access tier isn't updated in azure, it still reflects as hot. On the other hand, when the job is triggered again , the access tier of the blob gets changed to cool as expected.

The azure.storage dll version that I'm using is 9.1.1

Any inputs will be helpful.

code is as below:

CloudBlobContainer sourcecontainer = BatchInitiator.sourcecontainer;
                CloudBlockBlob blockBlob = sourcecontainer.GetBlockBlobReference(blobFileName);
                if (await blockBlob.ExistsAsync())
                {

if (storageAccessTier.Equals(StandardBlobTier.Cool.ToString(), StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase))
                            await blockBlob.SetStandardBlobTierAsync(StandardBlobTier.Cool).ConfigureAwait(true);
                        else
                            await blockBlob.SetStandardBlobTierAsync(StandardBlobTier.Archive).ConfigureAwait(true);

}

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hello Sunil,

Thanks for posting here!

When you say “the access tier isn't updated in azure, it still reflects as hot” do you mean that you are not seeing the status of cool tier for the block blob in Azure portal?

Any blob that does not have an explicitly assigned tier infers the tier from the account access tier setting. If the access tier is inferred from the account, you see the Access Tier Inferred blob property set to "true", and the blob Access Tier blob property matches the account tier. In the Azure portal, the access tier inferred property is displayed with the blob access tier (for example, Hot (inferred) or Cool (inferred)).

For more information, i would recommend you to refer the article here on this.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Hello Yaswanth,

All the blob are set to "Hot" access tier as default. As part of our archival policy, we have a webjob to change the access tiers of the blobs from Hot to Cool if the blob has been stored for more than 2 years. 

While the webjob runs and changes all the intended blobs access tiers, at times we have observed that only few of the blobs have changed from Hot to Cool.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 9:13 AM
  • Hello Suresh,

This may require a deeper investigation to find out the root cause, so If you have a support plan, I request you file a support ticket by following How to create an Azure support request. If you don’t have a support plan. Please do let us know, we will try and help you get a one-time free technical support. In this case, please send an email to AzCommunity[at]Microsoft[dot]com with the below details to investigate this further.

Thread URL:

Subscription ID:

Please mention "ATTN Yash" in the subject field. Thank you for your cooperation on this matter and look forward to your reply.

Monday, July 8, 2019 7:46 AM