Calibration on Surface 2 kills all Touches RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.

I am struggling with the Surface 2.
    Because we had issues with the Tag recognition ( see this forum entry ), we tried to calibrate the Surface with the Calibration Tool that comes with the SUR40.

Since we don't have a calibration board (won't get shipped by samsung rigt now) we tried to calibrate it with a black doormat and a white flip chart as described in this blog entry.

We were not so lucky like the guys from the blog (they solved their tag recognition problem by calibration the sur40).
    At first the calibration did not work at all and we got the "Error 2" Message.
    After shutting the SUR40 down and keeping it off for few hours, we tried again and the calibration process could be completed without any error messages.
    But after that, the SUR40 did not receive any touch at all.
    The Environment Lighning Optimizer shows always green, no matter how much direct light is exposed on the sur40.

Is there a way to reset the calibration of the SUR40?
    Without that option, or with the calibration board, we don't have a touchable SUR40.

thx for the help.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Just read your post... I had the same problem with our SUR40.

Today I went to a local print shop and asked if they had a big piece of paper (black and white)

With this calibration was easy... Just follow the steps.

I used this technique and it works, so you don't need the calibration board. Just a big piece of black and white cardboard will do.

Hope this is of any help.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:41 PM
  • we tried that as well. still no touches.

I think we have to send the surface back.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:38 AM
  • We had a somewhat similar issue, with touches failing to work after connecting the surface to a domain.  It seems that running the Enter Surface Mode shortcut on the desktop fixed it - it prompted us to log off but even selecting no allowed touches to resume working (even after reboot).  Even when that was broken it was possible to get some blueish coloured reaction from the surface when pressing on it (though Windows didn't recognise them).

You need to cover the entire surface with the white/black cardboard when calibrating, or touches seem to occur at random.

Friday, February 3, 2012 10:18 PM
  • I don't have the black/white cardboard from samsung. they did not ship it yet.

using our own black and white flipchard paper caused the problems we now have.

:-(

Monday, February 6, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

is there someone that have an original calibration board? 

Can you upload a photo to see how is it?

I used the "McGyver style" like described here http://blog.imagosystems.nl/216/running-the-calibration-tool-on-the-surface/ , with not all satisfying results. 

If we could see an original calibration board, we can reproduce it :)

Thanks,

Mattia

Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Ciao Mattia

una domanda fuori dal contesto. Ma a voi sono state inviate le gambe della v2???

saluti

Gian Paolo Santopaolo
    Founder and CTO Software Lab
    @gsantopaolo
    softwarelab.it - digitalshopwindow.com - thedarksideof.net
    Disclaimer: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:54 PM
  • Ciao Mattia

una domanda fuori dal contesto. Ma a voi sono state inviate le gambe della v2???

saluti

Gian Paolo Santopaolo
    @gsantopaolo
    Disclaimer: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights.

No, not yet. 

End of OT :)

Friday, February 17, 2012 9:08 AM
  • Hi,
    after calibration with McGyver workaround I have serious problems with touch input, no one is recognized. Here there are what surface see: 

And here is what environment light optimizer see:

Please help us to make this hardware work!
    Monday, February 20, 2012 11:40 AM
  • Hello Mattia,

Not to state the obvious but:

In what light conditions is your Surface? Are there bright lights nearby or is your unit close to Sunlight?

On one occasion my unit was exposed to indirect sunlight and the unit reacted the same as you show in your pictures. After closing some curtains the unit responded normal again.

Kind regards,
    Roy

Monday, February 20, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Lights are not a problem, we had yet optimized them :) It's like a software problem (maybe driver?). After many reboot, win updates and few calibrations now it seems to work. Btw all system seems buggy, especially without calibration board!

Is there anyone who can upload a photo of a calibration board?

Thanks,

Mattia

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Hi Mattia

have you tried contacting Mr. Frigo from Samsung Italy? You can find his contact numbers here http://www.samsunglfd.com/solution/sur40.do 

He is very helpful.

Also from what I know in italy sur40 has 2 years of on-site warranty.

Hope it helps

Gian Paolo Santopaolo
    @gsantopaolo

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Hi,

I think it isn't a hardware problem, because after 2 reboots and a lot of calibration attempts the strange behaviour vanished.tia

Is there anybody who has the same behaviour on his surface 2.0?

Thanks.

Mattia

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:33 PM
  • There is another strange behaviour: it is the second morning that, when I turn on the device, there is a touch down on top left corner. I can't find a way to remove it! Evidently this continuous touch down doesn't let me to work! I tried to turn off all the light, check for strange interferences and I didn't found nothing! Yesterday, after noticed this error, I tried to calibrate the device and I had all problems described above. 

Has anyone else had problems similar to mine?

I append an image where you can see the touchdown on top left corner..

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:38 AM
  • I have this Tag changing on 4 units we have even by using original Tag print provide with Surface V1.
    I do not understand why Samsung or Microsoft do not provide this famous calibration board ( same as the V1) by default.

As we can see, everyone have the same issue, and honestly I do not want to take the risk to calibrate the unit in a hard way when projects going on.

Hope someone from MS Surface tema could confirm at least the existance of the calibration board and the reason it is not shipped by default

regards

serge

Your knowledge is enhanced by that of others.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:49 PM
  • I have just request that calibration board and we will receive it next week

regards
    serge

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:34 AM
  • Hello,

I just receive the calibration paper ( we can call it paper instead of board :-)) nd try the calibration to see if any improvement on tag recognition.

I have check that light optimizer is ok and surface is clean.
    Then I wait that teh unit is hot enough.

The I start teh process and everything work fine until the successful calibration.
    Surface is still responding to touch normally as it should but when I try to drop  a Tag on the Surface, it does not solved the issue.

The tag visualization is flikering, the Tag ID is changed frequently when you move or rotate the object.

Anyone have same effect with teh calibration print ?

regards

serge

Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:36 PM
  • Hi Serge,

Can you upload some images/photo of calibration paper?

Thanks,

Mattia

Mattia Diffini - www.practix.net

Thursday, March 8, 2012 10:49 PM
  • here is the picture of the paper board for calibration

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=b6ffde46c657f3e3&resid=B6FFDE46C657F3E3!511&parid=B6FFDE46C657F3E3!139&authkey=!AFIXHKcNIDjyP7E

Friday, March 9, 2012 9:06 AM
  • it is sad, that no one from msft or samsung can tell us how to get the touches running again, after a bad calibration.

we have a sur40 and can not deliver it to our clients

Friday, March 9, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Thank you Serge! I have some other questions on it:

what kind of material is it made of?

Does light pass through the board?

can you upload a photo of the white layer of calibration board?

Thank you so much! :)

Tasovi: did you try the Mc Gyver approach?

Mattia

Friday, March 9, 2012 4:00 PM
  • It is made of a simple paper of 1mm
    The light does not pass through. one side is completely dark and the other side is completly white

Friday, March 9, 2012 4:30 PM
  • @tasovi, did you calibrate with the calibration bord or some other way ?

If other way ask for a calibration board to your reseller

Friday, March 9, 2012 4:31 PM
  • Thank you Serge!

Mattia

Friday, March 9, 2012 5:10 PM
  • even with the calibration the Tag Id are not locked when moving an object on the surface

Friday, March 9, 2012 5:30 PM
  • as descriped in the very first post, the McGyver approach caused the problem for us.

now we don't have any touches at all and no one is able to tell us, how to reset the calibration.

Monday, March 12, 2012 10:31 AM
  • Someone had the same problem, read this thread
    Monday, March 12, 2012 11:18 AM
  • Serge,

I can confirm that tag tracking, that is persistent detection of tags when moving a tag, is not supported on the SUR40.  Tag detection for stationary tags is supported.  A work around you might try would be to track the tag value instead of the tag ID, as the ID will change when the tag starts moving.

Thanks,

Tim

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:53 PM
  • There is no way to reset the calibration.  Where is your SUR40 located?

Thanks,

Tim

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:54 PM
  • we tried everything that has been posted in this forum. nothing helped.
    our sur40 is located in germany.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Hi tasovi

I noticed that you have issue on your SUR40 from many days and that also all the solution provided here doesn't work for you.

Did you considered to call the samsung assistance for your SUR40? In Europe we have 2 years of warranty on site...

regards

Gian Paolo Santopaolo
    @gsantopaolo

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:20 PM
  • of course we did.

there was even a samsung service man here and worked on the table. he had no idea and thought it is a tv and asked for a remote ;-)
    he sugested to reinstall windows using the image that is on the sur40.
    we also did that and it didn't help.
    so samsung blamed microsoft and we still have no functional table.
    our customer is waiting for the device and we can not deliver our software.
    that is unsatisfying.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:36 PM
  • @SurfaceTim, then its clear enought.
    Trouble is that we have alwys reference to the previous version of Surface and the way it was working, so we were expecting to get same results but I guess that a lot of things will be improve in future.

regards

serge

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Tasovi

at this point if i was in your place i would ask to have a new unit...

Gian Paolo Santopaolo
    @gsantopaolo

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:37 PM
  • @Serge

It's very normal to compare it to the previous version, but they are indeed very different. The technologies are so different, that it even leads to other behaviour. You cannot simply port software from the old version to the new one. There are some considerations...  I've blogged about it here 

Having said that, what shouldn't differ is the quality of the technology. The Surface deserves a bit more credit than it gets, but there's still room for improvement. The tag recognition is less stable.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:20 AM
  • @imago, then we are agree on that point; Let see

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:24 AM
  • @Tasovi

Please contact me through the Surface Business Desk (sbizdesk@microsoft.com) and ask for Tim Hogg.

Thank you,

Tim Hogg

Program Manager | Microsoft Surface

Disclaimer: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Edited by SurfaceTim Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:58 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:54 AM