Developing mobile web applications with Visual Studio 2008 and ASP.NET Mobile Controls RRS feed

• Question

• User1634317999 posted

I have seen a lot of posts in this forum concerning the question how to develop mobile web applications with Visual Studio 2008. In VS 2008 the templates for Mobile Web Forms are missing and there is no more designer support for ASP.NET Mobile Controls. In the Your Websites, Our Passion! blog you can download a ZIP file with the templates compiled by Omar Kahn.

And I found another interesting blog post about the Microsoft Mobile Device Platforms with a discussion when Mobile Controls should be used and when not.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:24 PM

All replies

• User-1758397277 posted

Hi, the link in the blog is broken. Is there any other way to solve this?

Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:05 AM
  • User-1758397277 posted

Hi guys, I'm thinking about a solution and was wondering if it could work and I need some opinions and guidance from you guys. I have an ASP.Net (3.5) website developed from Visual Studio 2008 and I'm planning to do mobile version of it, but I realised today that Visual Studio 2008 does not support creation of mobile website. So I can't "Add New Item" to the ASP.Net desktop browser website.I have found the ASP.Net code for redirecting the user either to the mobile browser or the desktop browser.

However, I'm still considering the following for my mobile website - use Visual Studio 2005 and create it. I will insert the code(for redirecting the user to desktop / mobile browser) in the ASP.Net desktop website (developed in Visual Studio 2008) and if detected as mobile browser it will load the mobile version of the website(created with Visual studio 2005).

Does this work? Any advice?

Thursday, February 5, 2009 9:06 AM
  • User1634317999 posted

Hello,

you know that the ASP.NET Mobile Controls are obsolete? Only if you have target devices with outdated browers your concept will be successful. Otherwise you should use ASP.NET Web Forms for your mobile pages.

If you use the the IsMobileDevice property for detection you have to configure all target devices because the browser configuration of the .NET Framework is also obsolete and you cannot use the mobile programming model out of the box. 

Thursday, February 5, 2009 9:34 AM
  • User-1758397277 posted

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Will using ASP.Net web forms in VS2008 work for my mobile website? Meaning will the mobile functions in the code work if I just create a new web form for it?

Thursday, February 5, 2009 9:39 AM
  • User1634317999 posted

... will the mobile functions in the code work if I just create a new web form for it?

No. But modern mobile browsers like IE Mobile under WM 5, 6.x, Safari on iPhone/iPod Touch, Android browser, Opera Mobile or NetFront display pages with ASP.NET Web Forms therefore I would not recommend to use ASP.NET Mobile Controls.

Thursday, February 5, 2009 12:06 PM
  • User-1758397277 posted

So, would it be alright if I create an ASP.Net web forms optimized for mobile users(like having links and content only for mobile users)?

Thursday, February 5, 2009 9:36 PM
  • User1634317999 posted

Yes.

Friday, February 6, 2009 1:13 AM
  • User-1177942579 posted

SKT_01 is sort of right in that alot of modern phones do support alot more standised xhtml, so you don't have to use the asp.net mobile controls.

Unfortunately there are still lots of issues to deal with in mobile web development around resizing images and dealing with different support for css, did you know for example that all blackberry's are shipped with css turned off by default.

The best way I have found for developing mobile sites, is using the standard asp.net controls and using some sort of mobile toolset to help with browser detection to figure out what phone is browsing your site and allow you to get images better etc...

Here are some off the top of my head

WURFL - wurfl.sourceforge.net
    Mobi Forge - http://mobiforge.com
    Mobile Elements - http://www.mobileelements.com

Anyway if you have a specific problem say so and I might be able to provide more help

Friday, February 6, 2009 1:19 AM
  • User1634317999 posted

... modern phones ... support ... xhtml

... and also HTML 4 and 5, CSS, JScript/JavaScript and Ajax.

... did you know for example that all blackberry's are shipped with css turned off by default ...

False!

Friday, February 6, 2009 1:48 AM
  • User-1177942579 posted
    ... and also HTML 4 and 5, CSS, JScript/JavaScript and Ajax.
    I really wish this was the case, for instance the iPhone supports Ajax(xmlHttpRequest), but this has only been available in the Blackberry OS since version 4.6 released middle of 2008. Nokia only supports Ajax on series 60 phones and so on. It is a minefield of if's and buts about what actually works on each device, that is why you need to use a decent source of mobile phone data
    Friday, February 6, 2009 2:09 AM
  • User1967594026 posted

The development Blackberry I have is shipped with css - off by default. That's a fact.

Also, what about imode? Did Microsoft just abandon the Japanese mobile market?

WURFL - wurfl.sourceforge.net
    Mobi Forge - http://mobiforge.com
    Mobile Elements - http://www.mobileelements.com

Thanks for those, blat. Was aware of the WURFL (they have a good thing going), but not the other two. cheers.

Monday, February 9, 2009 3:55 AM
  • User-1899181962 posted
    http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2007/09/17/tip-trick-asp-net-mobile-development-with-visual-studio-2008.aspx check this out! Mobile Templates for VS 2008
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:55 AM
  • User1967594026 posted
    YES! They fixed the download link! Thank you axix.szabist! piv
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:32 AM
  • User-63228558 posted

you say SKT_01 is RIGHT, and that you don't need mobile controls...

BUT:

skt_01 gives a link to the mobile templates for visual studio 2008...

How can you say that SKT_01 is right, if he proposes something that you think is not needed?

Thanks for your reply, in advance!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 10:17 AM
  • User1135281112 posted

Hello

When we are developing mobile web application main thing to consider is to get accurate "Mobile Device Capabilities" information so that mobile web application can be customized for variety of mobile devices as per the capability supported.

If you are really looking for "Mobile Device Capabilities" upto date information please have a look at http://www.51degrees.mobi/Products/NETMobileAPI/tabid/86/Default.aspx it is free open source ASP.NET Mobile API

We have started using this ASP.NET Mobile API in our mobile web developments and have found very useful because of following
    - It makes use of WURFL database widely-accepted as the most advanced and up-to-date mobile device database available.
    - Quick & Accurate
    - Redirect mobile devices to mobile specific content without altering existing web pages.
    - Supports transcoders

For users who wants to use ASP.NET mobile controls for their development than please look at the mobile control library http://www.51degrees.mobi/Products/MobileToolkit/tabid/62/Default.aspx which has mobile controls for Google Map, Location, AdSense, Image Control

Thanks

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:31 AM
  • User-1425374719 posted

Good and fine. everything is installed as a templates in vs 2008, but can we find a help to use the tool just like ajax conrol toolkit.

Thanks

Monday, August 30, 2010 2:38 AM