none
Excel Office 365 Desktop edition triggers unexpected calculation RRS feed

• Question

• I have a product that uses custom user defined functions in Excel. They are packaged in an XLL. The normal behavior is that when a user opens a workbook the custom functions are not calculated. The workbook simply displays the last calculated result in the cell. However, customers using the Office 365 Desktop edition of Excel have reported that if they open a workbook, which was saved on someone else's PC and shared over email or via a network drive, it does trigger a calculation as the workbook opens. They report that this does not occur under the same circumstances when a workbook is opened in the normal version of Excel 2013 or 2016. Also, if the workbook is subsequently saved on that PC, future iterations of opening the workbook will correctly not trigger a calculation. This unusual behavior causes a problem as my application performs certain processes on the workbook open event which must complete before any calculations are triggered. Can you confirm if this is a bug in the Excel Office 365 Desktop edition and when it will be corrected?

Thanks Shaun

Friday, December 8, 2017 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for posting here. This forum is used to discuss development issues when using Excel Object Model. If you want to report issues, you can send feedback directly to Office teams: In Office 2016 on Windows 10, open an Office app, and click File > Feedback.

We could help check if the issue could be reproduced. Could you please share a sample project here to help us reproduce the issue? 

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 11, 2017 2:52 AM
  • Hi Celeste

Creating an example that you can use to reproduce the issue might be a bit challenging. One needs a UDF that clearly performs a calculation. Most simple UDF examples would recalculate without you even noticing.

My application launches a calculation dialog and retrieves values from a back end system and therefore the fact that a calculation is running is clearly visible. I would be happy to show you or give you access to our demo environment to recreate the issue. But it will require some setup potentially and specific software on your PC.

Alternatively I can try the File > Feedback option.

Regards

Shaun

Monday, December 11, 2017 7:52 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the information. It seems that it is hard to reproduce the issue with a simple project. Unfortunately, i think we are unable to access your environment due to limitation of community support. I suggest you contact the Microsoft professional support to help troubleshoot this issue and you won't be charged if the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 9:03 AM